Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,739   Online: 875

Shooter
    35mm

BW film for scanning

hello everybody,

I am just about to start shooting some BW landscapes on 35 mm film. The question I have is which BW 35mm film would be suitable for landscapes and also good for scanning, using Nikon Coolscan V ED. I do plan to process the film myself. I was thinking about Ilford Delta 100, Kodak T-Max 100 or Fuji Acros, basically prefer to use slow ISO. I do shoot landscapes on Velvia RVP if working in color, this film scans very good. And one more think: I do not have any experience in BW processing :-(

thanks to all of you willing to help...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm sure lots of films will be fine for you. I use Ilford FP4+ 120 (7 x 6 cm negs) with a Nikon Coolscan 9000. This gives me files that are used by a German publisher to produce posters that are 1m x 0.5m (no upsizing needed), so the scan quality from FP4 is excellent. Dave

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Juraj Jakubik View Post
    Ilford Delta 100, Kodak T-Max 100 or Fuji Acros
    They are all good for that purpose. The Nikon Coolscan V ED does not allow ICE dust and scratch removal with traditional films, you must clean your negatives very well. As the Coolscans have difficulties looking through dense negatives do not overdevelop, try to create comparatively 'thin' negatives, e.g. overexpose and underdevelop. That will allow to record the full range of tones. In post-processing you can enhance the contrast easily.

By the way, this is actually a subject for our neighbour forum www.hybridphoto.com.
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When you do negative scanning, does it remove your picture? I am curious, as I only scan positive prints to post here, and I dont want them to go away.

Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG, but his is off topic for us. You can find answers to this question at our sister site, Hybrid Photo. You can link to it from the very top of the APUG page or with the link below. Any questions regarding processing film and printing you'll find lots of answers to here, but scanning questions are better suited for our sister site.

http://www.hybridphoto.com/forums/home.php

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin