Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,298   Posts: 1,535,738   Online: 826

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Color of Darkroom

Well the last "real" darkroom I worked in was back in the early '70s and it was OD green ( as were my clothes, vehical, and everything else in my "world" ). Since those days I have had numerous bathrooms and basement rooms which I have used, but have not had a dedicated darkroom.

I am now getting ready to dedicate a part of my house for use as a darkroom. As I was looking at the thread showing pictures of peoples darkrooms I noticed most were white. I would have thought that you would want them black, at least the walls around the enlarger.

I can understand that the safelight might reflect better off white walls, but I would think you are also bouncing ambient light off your enlarger onto your paper.

Am I missing something?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    well, there shouldn't be any "ambient" light getting into your darkroom in the first place!

The darkroom I use (high School) is white with black wooden dividers surrounding the enlarger.
    You can make your darkroom what ever color you want. IMHO, I would make it white, just because white paint is cheaper XD

Does it really matter what color you use? I don't think so.
    My weapons consist of 11 cameras. And counting... Be afraid.

We are the makers of music, The dreamers of dreams.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't think that it really matters what colour the darkroom is, it may be a bit of an asthetic thing - the all black darkroom is a very gloomy place but the white darkroom is easier on the eye.

Providing the safelight itself doesn't fog the paper, reflecting this off white walls makes no difference apart from making it easier to find things! In a black darkroom it can be suprisingly easy to lose things. A black surround to the enlarger just makes it easier to see the neg on the baseboard without the safelight falling on the area.
    Paint the walls blue just for a laugh!
    Sim2.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It doesn't matter what color it is, but sheen does play a large part. I would definitly use flat exterior paint. Flat for obvious reason, and exterior grade because it has a mildewcide incorporated in it, so no mold or mildew problems, also its washable, so its easy to maintain, and its durable. I use exterior paint in the kitchen and bath for those reasons. My DR is a nice chocolate color, because it was a mis-mix at the hardware, and only cost $5 for a gallon (the best way to buy paint).

Rick

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    All surfaces are painted flat black in my darkroom.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think it does indeed matter what colour the darkroom is.

I agree with Sim2: except for the bit near and behind the enlarger, it should be pure white.
    There is no need to have dark, light absorbing surfaces.
    On the contrary. You will want to get the most out of the little light there is.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Flat black around the enlarger, semigloss white everywhere else. I used semigloss simply because it is easier to clean....it still has a few stains here and there, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My darkroom has medium/dark grey walls, black woodwork and a very blue ceiling. Blue linoleum floor too. The enlargers are far enough from the walls to not worry about stray light. I have more safelights than some, but prefer pools of light where I put them to an overall ambient level of light. Makes the lit areas seem brighter even with very small 5W nightlight bulbs. Some of my safelights even have ND filtration.

Shooter
    Large Format
    White walls will help reflect the safelight, and make the darkroom just a little brighter (but still safe). But paint the area around the enlarger black, to help absorb any stray white light from the enlarger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, heres where it gets interesting-- If you want the most reflectance from the safelight, then you should paint your DR the same color as the safelight lens you are using, with high gloss paint.

Rick

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin