Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,534   Posts: 1,572,717   Online: 768

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Egg timer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a handfull of cheap digital kitchen timers. I pre-program each one for a seperate step. 1st for dev, 2nd for stop, 3rd for fix and have them lined up where I can find them in the dark. I have half dozen so I can use extras for additional steps if needed. I get mine here in the States at the Dollar Tree for(you guessed it) a dollar each. When the battery dies its cheaper to toss the timer and buy a new one.
    I like AnscoJohn's idea, especially for you new guys. Tape record the times as well as telling yourself which procedure you're doing, which is coming up, and what to do to prepare for it. This in conjunction with a written procedure list could be foolproof.

Rick
    Last edited by Rick A; 03-28-2010 at 11:08 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: extra thought

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use a Paterson Triple Timer -http://www.patersonphotographic.com/patersondarkroom-details2.htm#middle

It makes a Bleeping noise as each of the time periods are up.

I set the first time for Developer, the second for Stop and the Third for Fixing

As all 3 timers run concurrently, it allows you to time the whole process in one easy sequence.

There is no back-lighting - so great for complete darkness.

The only additional feature I would like the timer to have would be it made some sort of "tick-tock" noise to show it is running.
    I find standing in the complete dark, time seems to be a strangely elastic sort of thing - sometimes my 8m15s Dev time seems to be unexpectedly short catching me unawares and yet for others it is an absolute eternity – making me wonder if I have set the timer running.

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    The only additional feature I would like the timer to have would be it made some sort of "tick-tock" noise to show it is running.
    I find standing in the complete dark, time seems to be a strangely elastic sort of thing - sometimes my 8m15s Dev time seems to be unexpectedly short catching me unawares and yet for others it is an absolute eternity – making me wonder if I have set the timer running.

Martin
    Why I like the Gralab- one can see it running. I often wondered "is that thing running" about the kitchen timer after what seemed like twenty minutes in the developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What I did do (just back) was connect the radio to the timer. Set timer to 5 minutes, when radio dies hit timer again. Radio dies, move to stop. Count to 30 in head. Move to fix, agitate 10 seconds. Set timer to 3 minutes. Hit it. Radio dies, lights on. And the best part, on radio there was a documentary about Status Quo! Worse thing can happen than standing in dark rocking a tray while listening to "You're in the army now"

One question. I noticed when I stood in the dark that I, more or less, constantly agitated the tray. Couldn't help it. Should one follow tank-guidelines for agitation when doing it in trays? What effect will over-agitation have? The opposite of stand development I guess. And that would be.....?

r

Mats
    Digital is for communication, film is for documentation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/studiopirilo

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I was always advised against listening to music while developing film by a Lecturer at University

He had found that students agitated their films in tune with the music - easy listening melodies = gentle agitation all the way up to death metal = very vigorous agitation.

If you are consistent in your music choice then it doesn't matter.

I knew someone who set up on a tape cassette with the times overlaid onto a set of music tracks - initially it worked great but the repeated listening to the same few songs again and again and again caused him to drop the idea.

Martin

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Re: Egg timer

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie
    I knew someone who set up on a tape cassette with the times overlaid onto a set of music tracks - initially it worked great but the repeated listening to the same few songs again and again and again caused him to drop the idea.

Martin
    Great story. Definitely got a laugh out of me.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    I was always advised against listening to music while developing film by a Lecturer at University

Martin
    Shimoda - What was the CI for your film processed to Status Quo "In the Army now"?

Maybe we need to have a CI for each song or class of music? :o

Not that I'm volunteering of course !

Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Let's see... Couldn't we just do away with the concept of N+ and N- development times and simply develop at the same time to different music?

Need an expansion, put on the William Tell Overture, "Hi-ho Silver! Away!" Need a contraction, how about the adagio from Mahler's ninth. Normal? a Mozart allegro? Would the negatives look cooler if I listened to Miles Davis instead of Mozart? Maybe heroic classical music for landscapes, jazz or rock for gritty cityscapes, soft harp music for still-lifes? The possibilities are endless...

Maybe I'll stick to my kitchen timer though.

Best,

Doremus Scudder
    www.DoremusScudder.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [If you are consistent in your music choice then it doesn't matter.

Martin[/QUOTE]
    I made my tape with Händel's [I]Messiah[I] so there was no chance, for me, of it ever growing old.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mpirie View Post
    You could make up a tape (or mp3) that has 10/30/60 second reminders or even talk yourself through the entire process
    When my father worked for a film processor in the 1960s they had a reel to reel tape recorder with the processing instructions spoken at the correct times.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin