Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,517   Online: 847

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gray View Post
    I'll likely never have a darkroom big enough for a Thomas anyway, so it's a moot point Though there's no reason you couldn't augment the Thomas with smaller lights here and there.

That's a shame about the festival lights. I'm sure there are suitable replacements though. Anything with a screw in base and in red would probably be fine.
    Not so. While I agree that red is fine, and probably safer than the OC or amber safe lights (I use red 1A in my darkroom), not all red lamps are safe. Many of these "party bulbs" emit enough light in frequencies outside the safe zone to fog papers in short order. You've got to be really careful here. Check the spectral sensitivity of the paper against the spectral output of the lamp to be sure. The lamp needs to put out light in the region where the paper has no sensitivity, but that your eyes do.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I agree with you on principle, but it's really not that hard to find red LED's that have a limited FWHM. I wasn't talking about basic festival/party lights, but LED ones.
    Last edited by Tim Gray; 03-28-2010 at 03:29 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: mistype

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ...That's a shame about the festival lights. I'm sure there are suitable replacements though. Anything with a screw in base and in red would probably be fine.
    I looked hard and long without avail. If someone finds them in 220V, please let me know.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Can't help you with the 220 VAC thing, but superbrightleds.com has some suitable red LED lamps. Also, the link above has the optiled festival lights - it seems like they are still selling them.

Worse comes to worse, you could easily wire something together. There are millions of LEDs that you can buy - the support circuitry isn't that difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    In Europe, I frequently ran across green 'safelight'. I would not use them.
    Unless you are developing by inspection Ralph! Then the green light is on for a few seconds as the developing process proceeds.

Ed

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ahhh, here it is. It's an optiled festival light. I have the red one. Can't remember which store I bought it at online, but found this link here on APUG: optiled LED lamp.
    Even for a permanent darkroom, I'd recommend these. I have about a 6x12 foot darkroom and one red and one amber. I use them both for Ilford and other papers that call for an OC light and just the red for Eastern European papers. I do a lot of lith meaning that there is a lot of exposure of the paper to the safelights. I've never seen fogging and I have plenty of light. Highly recommended!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    In Europe, I frequently ran across green 'safelight'. I would not use them.
    Unless you are developing by inspection Ralph! Then the green light is on for a few seconds as the developing process proceeds.

Ed
    Actually, Ilford state at their datasheets for MG IV RC & FB that the Philips PF710 safelamp (yellow green) can be used (PF712 is the red one). Is it safe? Not exactly, but it's definitely usable. I did a test (without preflashing the paper) and it showed that 2' is the maximum acceptable time that the paper can be exposed to that safelamp from a distance of 1,5m. I used a CD to see the spectrum of this lamp and there was a tiny amount of blue light emitted. Now, if you have the option to put this lamp far enough, you're not going to have any problems with it. I've successfully used this lamp 5-6m away from the paper and I couldn't see any problems. So, why would anyone want to use that lamp? Because it's color is very close to the spectral sensitivity peak of the human eye and it's very comfortable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can't go wrong with red for most papers. OC also works with MGIV, IME.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Below is the stated spectral sensitivity of Ilford MG. Bright "safe" light sources can still fog it. I have Rosco #27 Primary Red (transmission at 580 is 0% and 600 2%) on my flashlight (torch for those in the UK ) and it will fog the paper in seconds if I hold it right up close to the paper in the developer.

I use OC in my safelights and can go 20 min with no fog but they are very dim and far from sensitive materials.

Last edited by ic-racer; 03-28-2010 at 07:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post

Ed
    I'm not taking about dark green for film development by inspection. I was talking about yellow-green safelights for paper, which I consider unsafe. By the way, when developing prints, I prefer not to do that in the dark.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin