Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,691   Posts: 1,482,386   Online: 707

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anon Ymous View Post
    Actually, Ilford state at their datasheets for MG IV RC & FB that the Philips PF710 safelamp (yellow green) can be used (PF712 is the red one). Is it safe? Not exactly, but it's definitely usable. I did a test (without preflashing the paper) and it showed that 2' is the maximum acceptable time that the paper can be exposed to that safelamp from a distance of 1,5m. I used a CD to see the spectrum of this lamp and there was a tiny amount of blue light emitted. Now, if you have the option to put this lamp far enough, you're not going to have any problems with it. I've successfully used this lamp 5-6m away from the paper and I couldn't see any problems. So, why would anyone want to use that lamp? Because it's color is very close to the spectral sensitivity peak of the human eye and it's very comfortable.
    That's what I'm talking about. Not 'safe' enough for me.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    You can't go wrong with red for most papers. OC also works with MGIV, IME.
    That's the way I see it too. I got quite used to the dark red safelight.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the input everyone. OC it is for me. The light will be about 6 ' from the paper so I should be fine.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    I'm not a fan of the Thomas safelight, simply because it typically hangs in the middle of the room, and regardless of where you are in the darkroom, you always work in your own shadow. I prefer a few strategically positioned, small safelights instead.

BTW, I was told by Osram or Phillips (I forgot) that those red LED festival lights are no longer manufactured. Sad really, I think they could be ideal.
    Ralph, http://www.superbrightleds.com. These guys sell red LED safelights with US and euro fixtures. They're bright enough and I've tested red-only papers as safe with them. I use a single light, mounted 8ft up, bounced off the ceiling (about 12 ft high).

Ilford paper, on the other hand, is probably about the most lenient paper out there WRT to safelights.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skyrick View Post
    Thanks for all the input everyone. OC it is for me. The light will be about 6 ' from the paper so I should be fine.
    Don't forget the safelight test!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Thanks for the clarification....my mistake.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Ralph, http://www.superbrightleds.com. These guys sell red LED safelights with US and euro fixtures. They're bright enough and I've tested red-only papers as safe with them. I use a single light, mounted 8ft up, bounced off the ceiling (about 12 ft high).

Ilford paper, on the other hand, is probably about the most lenient paper out there WRT to safelights.
    I don't see anything labeled as a safelight there. Do you mean any of the LED lights available in red color?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yeah. Or more importantly, any of the red LEDs that have a narrow bandwidth and cut off above, say, 600 nm.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stregone View Post
    I don't see anything labeled as a safelight there. Do you mean any of the LED lights available in red color?
    Yeah. Or more importantly, any of the red LEDs that have a narrow bandwidth and cut off above, say, 600 nm.
    This is what I use:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...%2FE27-W24.htm

Spectral graphs are at the bottom of the page.

Have had zero issues and I've tested it (wide version) on papers that really want red (Foma, Emaks, etc.) without a problem - whereas I've tested others that did present a problem.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Excellent. I picked up a couple cheap little desk lamps with a clamp on it. Gunna use those LED bulbs instead of expensive safelights.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin