Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,713   Online: 784

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Safelight for Ilford Paper?

I'm assembling and acquiring equipment for my first darkroom and am basically down to the safelight. I'll be using Ilford's MGIV paper, which recommends a 902 light brown safelight. Is that the same as an amber? I looked on Freestyle and that auction site but have not seen a "light brown" light or filter offered.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's functionally equivalent to Kodak's "OC" spec safelight. Some call it amber. Make sure that whichever you get, it meets the specs or you could be in for a rude surprise.
    Frank Schifano

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    we use the "amber" in a thomas safelight at school, have for years with no issues.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skyrick View Post
    I'm assembling and acquiring equipment for my first darkroom and am basically down to the safelight. I'll be using Ilford's MGIV paper, which recommends a 902 light brown safelight. Is that the same as an amber? I looked on Freestyle and that auction site but have not seen a "light brown" light or filter offered.
    You can use 'OC', amber or red safelights with that paper. Red safelights are 'safer' but quite a bit darker. Whatever you use, always conduct a proper safelight test before using them. Flat prints and muddy highlights are often a sign of unsafe safelights or light leaks.

I can offer this link:

http://www.waybeyondmonochrome.com/W...ghtTestEd2.pdf
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'd love to get a Thomas safelight. Those things are so bright.

If this is a temporary darkroom (or not), I could recommend LED lights. I bought a red LED screw in bulb about 3 years ago. It's pretty bright. I have it in a clip on metal fixture that I clip somewhere when I set up my stuff in the bathroom. I forget where I purchased it from, but it was after reading here on APUG.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ahhh, here it is. It's an optiled festival light. I have the red one. Can't remember which store I bought it at online, but found this link here on APUG: optiled LED lamp.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Red" or "OC" filter will work fine. Which is basically the majority of the safelights in the worlds.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gray View Post
    I'd love to get a Thomas safelight. Those things are so bright.

If this is a temporary darkroom (or not), I could recommend LED lights. I bought a red LED screw in bulb about 3 years ago. It's pretty bright. I have it in a clip on metal fixture that I clip somewhere when I set up my stuff in the bathroom. I forget where I purchased it from, but it was after reading here on APUG.
    I'm not a fan of the Thomas safelight, simply because it typically hangs in the middle of the room, and regardless of where you are in the darkroom, you always work in your own shadow. I prefer a few strategically positioned, small safelights instead.

BTW, I was told by Osram or Phillips (I forgot) that those red LED festival lights are no longer manufactured. Sad really, I think they could be ideal.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    "Red" or "OC" filter will work fine. Which is basically the majority of the safelights in the worlds.
    In Europe, I frequently ran across green 'safelight'. I would not use them.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    I'm not a fan of the Thomas safelight, simply because it typically hangs in the middle of the room, and regardless of where you are in the darkroom, you always work in your own shadow. I prefer a few strategically positioned, small safelights instead.

BTW, I was told by Osram or Phillips (I forgot) that those red LED festival lights are no longer manufactured. Sad really, I think they could be ideal.
    I'll likely never have a darkroom big enough for a Thomas anyway, so it's a moot point Though there's no reason you couldn't augment the Thomas with smaller lights here and there.

That's a shame about the festival lights. I'm sure there are suitable replacements though. Anything with a screw in base and in red would probably be fine.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin