Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,732   Online: 1089

Shooter
    Multi Format

Making 6x9 glassless negative plates for Durst 609 Enlarger

Hi all,
    Have started blowing some of my medium format negatives beyond 8x10, and found the previously slightly irritating scratches on the glass of my negative carrier are now becoming a major problem. I know it is still possible to buy 6x9 glassless plates off ebay at enormous cost, but cant help but think this is something i should be able to make my self or source locally from a fabricator. Can any one give me some ideas, especially when it comes to successfully cutting a clean 6x9 hole out of steel or aluminium? I am very concerned about negative buckerling and movement under the light, so I think matt board is probably not going to hold the negative securely enough. All thoughts welcome!
    Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are making big enlargements, I'd stick with the glass. You can get new glass for your existing carrier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Where is the best place to pickup anti newton glass ... in Australia if possible? Our local place in Perth is quoting me something like $163 AUD
    Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The going price for a Durst AUDA70 piece of regular glass is approx $15 on ebay. There is a company in the USA http://www.fpointinc.com/ who supplies AN glass cut and beveled for way less than that price you were quoted. I made glassless inserts from a piece of sheet aluminum salvaged from some electronic equipment, it was the same thickness as the glass. All you need is a hacksaw, drill, file and patience.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cool! how did you fair with negative popping on your glassless insert? I'm looking at enlarging 6x9 negs with exposure times of over 1min

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin