Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,454   Posts: 1,570,503   Online: 1043

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Wollenstak Raptar 135mm f/4.5 quality?

Hi everybody

I just got a Wollenstak Raptar 135 mm f/4.5 enlarging lens. I bought almost all of his darkroom. My question is What about quality of the print should I expect. I'm asking this question because I got also a 150 mm Componon-S lens from another photographer. I suspect that the latter is better but how can I judge the difference if I print 11 X 14 maximum.

Any advise will be appreciated.

Thank you

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't even bother to test; just use the Componon-S.

To compare them, look at overall contrast and edge sharpness (assuming focusing in the center). It can be a little difficult with 4x5 as the grain can be hard to see in the print.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The Wollensak 135 was my first 4x5 enlarging lens and I quickly replaced it with a Componon-S 150. The Componon-S has better contrast (higher contrast, cleaner blacks) at all f/stops. The Componon-S has better edge sharpness at wide f/stops. At 11x14 prints and using mid to small f/stops (F/11) you will see a small improvement with the Componon-S. At larger (20x24) prints and/or at wide f/stops (f/5.6) you will see a big improvement with the Componon-S.

Hope that helps,
    Tom

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin