Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,978   Online: 864

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rternbach View Post
    I've used epoxy paint as well. It's fine if it is put down on a perfectly dry surface and doesn't get wet from moisture in the concrete. You can sprinkle epoxy flakes into the surface to give it some color. Make sure you have good ventilation when you paint it on.
    As others have mentioned, the epoxy can be the wrong choice under certain floor conditions (concrete not old/cured enough, too much moisture, not cleaned properly). Otherwise, if you follow the directions for prep you shouldn't have any problems.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just got things measured and planned out with a 'test box' of tile. Having the pattern alternate makes me nauseated, so I'm going to run the pattern the same way on all the tiles.

I may put some some squishy rubber tile or mats over the vinyl tile in the areas where I stand a lot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've built two basement darkrooms. In the first instance, I used a vinyl tile that required that I spread a mastic using a notched trowel. In the second, I used a self-adhesive tile.

Frankly, I don't think either is a good solution. The problem is that either approach is a lot of work, and when you are done, the floor looks nice, but is still just as hard as the concrete it is laid on. In both of the darkrooms I have built, I ended up looking for some kind of cushioned mats to lay over the floor to make standing in front of the sink for several hours less painful.

Something must be done to seal the surface of the concrete - otherwise, there is a dust problem. I've concluded that if I had it to do over again (and hopefully, I won't), I would clean the floor, and the paint on some kind of sealer. Then, I would buy shop cushions to lay down on the floor to make it 'prettier' and more comfortable to work on. I found some 2x2' rubber pads at Lowes that I've used, and I've seen similar products at Harbor Freight (for less $$).
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FYI
    When I had my business I needed a quick cheap floor finish when I moved in to a new address. I mixed 2 gallons of linseed oil with 5 gallons of paint thinner and applied 2 coats. Totally eliminated dust from the concrete and sealed the floor. Not a practical solution in many places but works really well even for a garage. Just be careful of the solvent vapour.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Regarding concrete, for proper adhesion, it needs to be degreased and cleaned, use of an acid etcher, thoroughly washed with water to remove any residue of the acid, before painting. Never had a problem with epoxy paint pealing. Easier than it sounds.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sorry if I hijacked this thread, but I too am thinking if using the same flooring the OP going to use. However since I have no basement I am converting and unused bedroom into a darkroom. Currently it has carpet which I plan to remove. I had planned to use a leveling compound over the sub floor which is wood and smooth the floor out somewhat and provide a better surface for the tile to adhere to. I am probably going about this the wrong way so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    After you take up the rug your best bet is to smooth the floor a bit and then put down new plywood underlayment nailed down very well and smoothed with leveling compound as needed. Then cover with closedcell sheeting, thinset, tile, grout, sealer--especially over the grout. At least that's what I've seen installers do. Even if you buy sealed tiles you can seal 'em when you seal the grout.
    "Get over it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks like I'm going to do this in 3 segments. The first segment is almost complete (pictures to follow) and I have the 100lb roller in the back of the car. I'll roll that tonight and work on the rest of it over the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got it rolled out and did a gray caulk line across the edges (I don't like that cove base stuff). Pictures to follow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did the second part last night. I have been to busy at work to get the pictures posted, but they are coming.
    I wound up taking my small sink out so I could tile under the feet.

The third part will include the part under the Durst 8x10 enlarger. I'm still deciding if I'm going to put a track on the concrete and tile around it. Or if I'll put the track right on the tile, or just have the rollers run right on the tile.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin