Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,809   Posts: 1,581,531   Online: 936

Shooter
    35mm RF

Chromega B not working

I was recently given a van load of darkroom equipment, so I'm back on the home darkroom wagon (I sold off my darkroom equipment several years ago). One of the items is an enlarger with a Chromega B head. It didn't work when I initially plugged it in and still doesn't work after I replaced the bulb. I suspect that it is the power supply that is the problem. I've read somewhere that the power supply should hum softly and it doesn't. Plus I understand that the power supply is the weak point on these enlargers. Does that sound reasonable? Is this something that is repairable at a price that is less than the value of the enlarger? If not, its probably no big deal as I do not plan to work in color and there is also an Omega D2 with an operating cold head that should handle all my enlarging needs (and an Empire 8 X 10 that is just huge). I'm trying to decide if I should repair it, just give it to the garbage collector or try to offer it to someone for parts. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Tom

Shooter
    Large Format
    check the fuse

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Paulie,

Thanks for the suggestion. Are you familiar with this enlarger? I've gone so far as to remove the cover from the power supply and from the bulb housing and I don't see a fuse. I hope that someone could point me to it if I'm just being an idiot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Omega stopped making that power supply and used an internal one on the later small dichroic heads. You could add the internal power supply to your current head or just put it in the external box. The updated power supply consists of a power resistor and a big rectifier, instead of a transformer. After the conversion use the 85W ESJ bulb.

Here is the info:

http://www.blogintrigue.com/?p=21

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks ic-racer! It sounds like it can be repaired at a reasonable cost.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Chromega B is a very nice easy to use comfortable enlarger to use.

I would definitely suggest seeking another power supply on ebay or something or converting it as described.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A Chromega B power supply just went unsold ($7 starting bid) on fleabay. May still be available cheap.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin