Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,589   Posts: 1,545,915   Online: 1217

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do not use brass, bronze, galvanized or aluminum in any way in which they contact photographic solutions.

Use plastic or stainless.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE, still wondering if I should worry about the developer. Do you have a thoughts on this. It's a 4 gallon tank of xtol.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If it were me I'd throw the stuff out and get new chemistry. Clean all the containers and parts until they look like they're brand new. And I'd make sure of using the proper metals when attaching accessories to the developing system. But that's me because many of the photographs I make are from events that could never be duplicated ever again because the people usually are not actors and couldn't replicate the emotions shown during the event, except they would be very unhappy if it had to be staged a second time because of my screw-up. As you can tell from the "tone" of this memo I take this quite seriously.
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I scrubbed the reels and tanks, and replaced the fixer. The developer is a bit more painful to dump though b/c it's a 4 gallon tank for xtol that I just finished getting seasoned after about 100 rolls. I will dump it if need be, but wanted to ask wiser minds before I just assumed it was bad.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You have beautiful photographs on your web site. Do you develop more for fun or do you do this for your business? I find there are only so many hours to the day and I like to enjoy life, especially at my age (I'll be 62 in June) and I've learned to delegate whenever possible, freeing up my time to do the things I want to do and will max out my sales/profits.

At any rate, beautiful web site and wonderful images!
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Take a roll of film and just shoot it and process. If it seems ok you might get away with it. Whenever I had doubts with my processors, I would rather sacrifice a $300 rebatch than risk screwing up a job.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bill, thanks for those nice words.

Richard, I actually ran 15 rolls this morning. It was a bit thin, maybe 15 percent underdeveloped. But I'm still trying to find a equilibrium w/ xtol, so who knows if the tanks bad or what.

Guess I dump it and start over. Lame. Don't mind the $, but do mind the time and film to get it back to a decent state.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just a thought...

Decant and filter at least a gallon of the developer.

Then experiment with "seasoning" a small quantity of new developer by adding the old.

You may be able to make use of all or part of the old.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the info guys.

Dumped it all. Worries over.

I did get a new handle welded on the rack yesterday. But they only had 308 stainless, not 316... But the great part is the welder, when I asked him how much, just asked if I had any spare film I could give him. Love it. Gave him 10 loose rolls of film outta the freezer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    308 will be just fine.

PE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin