Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,818   Online: 1066

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomem View Post
    So, you put the Glossy against the plate? That was the main problem I was having with fibers being picked up was from the glossy. Does it not stick?
    It wont stick if you keep the ferrotype plate clean and polished. Likewise, you should not get any fibers or lint from the canvas if it is kept clean. Dont worry that your prints will be overly glossy from drying with it, modern papers set the degree of glossiness in their finish. You can use a special ferrotype polish that will increase the gloss somewhat. These dryers are one of the best means of attaining a good flat print without any fuss.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    This is the easiest replacement I've found for the old ferrotyping polish: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...sance-Wax.aspx

Use it sparingly or you will see it on your prints.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    This is the easiest replacement I've found for the old ferrotyping polish: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...sance-Wax.aspx

Use it sparingly or you will see it on your prints.

Neal Wydra
    Absolutly! Put on just enough to make a faint haze on the surface, then buff to a high sheen. I've used this on some furniture I've made as well as my print dryer. I haven't found anything I like more, and it smells tremendously better than ferrotype polish. I've tried the beeswax blend, and it doesn't work as well.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You can wash the canvas and I would suggest that you do it often. I have a large Arkay and I wash the canvas about every the months. If you are using fiber, wash the hell out of the prints first. The "flipper" works great

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you don't care for a glossy surface, dry it with the emulsion towards the fabric. The finish will give no interference when viewing the image. Many fine prints ars finished this way and it's nothing like a glossy RC finish.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    I actually am trading (hopefully) my box of Ilford RC paper for a large lot of 11X14 & 8X10 fiber based paper to another APUG member who doesn't like FB paper. I personally have never printed with either since I am now starting the learning process but prefer the way FB prints look, I personally never liked glossy prints so it seems I will be able to use my print dryer more now
    "A picture is a poem without words"
    ~Horace~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin