Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,962   Posts: 1,558,327   Online: 943

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Arkay "Flipper" Print Dryer

Well amongst a few other darkroom items I picked up cheap today was an Arkay Print Dryer. It is basically a chromed surface that has a canvas piece that holds the print down to. You can "flip" the dryer over and put one on the other side too. Has a rheostat to control the heat, I am assuming it is just a heating element inside. I plugged it in and it works, only gave $20 for it. Just really wondering if these are a good idea, do other members use them, anything special I should know before putting a print on it and turning it on? Did I pay too much?

I also got a two bladed easel with a knob that will allow for an unexposed section of border on the outside, just turn the knob and slide the paper to the corner and it leaves that 1/2" or whatever you set it to. Paid $10 for it, seemed like a good deal and this thing is sturdy, all steel it seems.

Got a medium format "Solar" enlarger by Burke & James, all the parts were there and everything works, even the bulb! Paid $40 for that, just need a lens. I plan on using it primarily for a light source for contact prints. Looking for a 4X5 enlarger with neg carriers for 4X5 and 6X7/6X9 for my primary use.
    "A picture is a poem without words"
    ~Horace~

DCV

Shooter
    4x5 Format

They're still around

To the best of my knowledge, those flippers are still around. I bought one new about eight years ago. They're quite good but do your best to keep that canvas very clean. Contamination is always an issue with all that nice absorbent cloth!!

Shooter
    35mm
    Good to know, looks clean now but I will take them off and hand wash them to be sure since it has been sitting in storage for who knows how many years.
    ~Horace~

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Also watch the stainless keep it spotless and scratch free. A soft cloth and water and soap only if needed.
    Pat
    What grain............................................. ...............
    Oh sorry, I forgot you don't shoot Large Format
    Large format Pat.

http://www.largeformatpat.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not for Rc paper
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a premier version of this print dryer. I do not think there is much a difference, but I use both RC and FB paper on it. The only thing I can suggest is to use something like blotter paper or release paper to cover the surface of the print. Canvas fibers just love to latch onto wet emulsion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Never dry RC paper on the dryer unless it is on a very cool setting. It was designed to dry fiber base paper, face against the chrome for glossy, face against canvas for matte. Keep the surface polished with a soft cotton cloth and occasionally polish with a good quality paste wax then buff. Always make sure your prints are completey washed and no fixer remains, or you will contaminate the canvas, followed by contaminating every print that follows. This will allow you to have fairly flat fiber prints without much hassle.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I only my print dryer occasionally, but they are nice for getting flat prints. As noted, don't use it for RC.
    When you wash the canvas put it back on the dryer damp. If you dry it first it may shrink too much to go back on.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    So, you put the Glossy against the plate? That was the main problem I was having with fibers being picked up was from the glossy. Does it not stick?

Shooter
    35mm
    Ok well the only paper I have right now is Ilford multi-grade IV glossy, this is my first attempt at printing anything and I picked up the paper off a Univ of AK student that never used it for a class she was going to take. It is an $80 box of 100ct 8X10, I don't normally prefer glossy myself. I guess I will just wait until it is dry and if it curls I could use the dryer to help flatten it with this paper, not to dry it though. Thank for the info all.
    ~Horace~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin