Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,494   Posts: 1,543,005   Online: 753

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There was a post several years ago here that described small animal heating pads that could be set to a desired temperature. The example shown was for baby piglets. It might be of interest here.

I prefer to do things at room temp.

Regarding C-41, current Bleach III consists of 2 parts. Versions from 3 or 4 years ago used 1 part. Replenisher for bleach, fix and stabilizer are not needed.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks PE

Mark
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    My experience with electric hot-plates, 'food warmers' etc., is that the thermostatic controls are less than satisifactory - large temperature swings, and quite often 'load dependant' (meaning sensitive to the amount of water etc., being kept warm). If you are a DIY'er, one can cobble together a temperature controller from a triac and temp-sensor (lm35).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a Corning 5x7" ceramic hot plate/stirrer with integral control probe. I set the temperature that I want and it stays there +/- 1 degree or less. I do use it to keep my C41 stuff up to temp without wasting water.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I use a Corning 5x7" ceramic hot plate/stirrer with integral control probe. I set the temperature that I want and it stays there +/- 1 degree or less. I do use it to keep my C41 stuff up to temp without wasting water.

PE
    Those are nice! Little pricey though.

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Those are nice! Little pricey though.
    Yes, but essential for making emulsions.

And, that was your question in the OP..... So, I pointed out that it was possible.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, but essential for making emulsions.PE
    Nonsense.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    Nonsense.
    It is pretty hard to get things to 50 - 80 C using hot water. It takes a lot of hot water. If you heat it, you use a hot plate to keep the bath up there.

I have tried a lot of alternatives for making emulsions well and the controlled hot plate does well.

An uncontrolled plate is very nice, as long as you are willing to stand there and fiddle with the knob. That works just fine and is less expensive but more labor intensive.

So, in the absence of any alternative, I feel that I can stand by what I say.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes, but essential for making emulsions.

And, that was your question in the OP..... So, I pointed out that it was possible.

PE
    Yes it was and I do appreciate the info, I did not know those existed.

I'm not making emulsions yet and the water bath/microwave system is giving me good results so I may join the "fiddle the knob" crowd for now so I can put more money into film, paper, and chemicals.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The problem with those plates would be the residual heat kept up in the plate. If you turn it on 10 and then shut it off when the bath reaches temperature, the bath temperature will continue to rise for some time after.
    --Nicholas Andre

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin