Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,988   Posts: 1,524,057   Online: 995

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    My experience with them is that they're fine if your paper is flat. Anything with a curl to it will make you nuts.
    I'll second what Frank said.

I have gone the vaccuum easel route to deal with curled paper, and sometimes even will lay 1/4" galss over the easel once the vac is on to flatten every thing out.

I am short on horizontal space so my 16x20 and 20x24 packets stand on end, and hence develop a bit of a curl.

I alos print RA-4 with paper cut from 12" wide rolls, and there is very definitely curl to deal with with that material.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Vacuum easel occasionally come up for auction on EBay.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wish I had one of these... Who knows, maybe I could fit it in a 8x7ft darkroom?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_ON View Post
    I find with RC I don't need anything to hold the paper down. I made my own borderless easel just by cutting a piece of masonite to 11x14 and putting rubber feet on the bottom. When I use FB I use a bordered easel, but I'm toying with the idea of using tacky glue for borderless.
    See my previous contribution http://www.apug.org/forums/forum41/6...nlarger-3.html. I got the idea from Polysales who sold a perspex version.
    Since last year I have found that Spraymount doesn't seem to be as sticky as it used to be and I have to clean and re-spray more often, so I am looking for a substitute.
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have both bordered and borderless easels. I find that I rarely use the borderless easel - I prefer to make the print with borders, and then trim the excess when mounting.

Large easels are expensive. If I were looking for a larger easel for occasional use, I would probably make a DIY borderless easel. A sheet of plywood, a bit of formica (or a sink cutout that a countertop installer would otherwise throw away) works just fine. Use superglue to attach a strip of aluminum to act as a guide in locating one edge of the print. Use double-stick masking tape in the corners to hold down the paper. The rationale for this is that it is easy to make, cheap, and for an easel that will be rarely used, it's good enough.
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darkroom_rookie View Post
    Wish I had one of these... Who knows, maybe I could fit it in a 8x7ft darkroom?

For projection printing murals, huge paper does not need to be totally flat. Tape or pins on a wall are all that are needed. The focal spread at the paper side is massive.

That apparatus may have been used for contact printing or something like that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    For projection printing murals, huge paper does not need to be totally flat.
    ic-racer,
    What about reflections from walls, table corners, cabinets etc? Are they a much bigger problem when printing murals, specifically colour murals?

d_rookie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin