Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,162   Online: 803

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

borderless easels

i was looking at my options for 16x20 and 20x24 easels, and i'm scratching my head over these reasonably priced borderless easels made by saunders. how do they work? don't the blades block light as they hold the paper down? i'm confused...

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    there is a rail at each end with a 45 degree angle, the paper fits under this rail and because of the angle the image is exposed without a border.

4 blade easel hold the paper down.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depending on your enlarging lens, sometimes you get a reflection off the inner side of the adjustable rails, resulting in a darkish band along the edges of the print. The solution is to take them off and paint them flat black to minimize the reflections.

i think i get it now. the rails don't actually cover the paper, right? the angled edge just holds the paper down.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a 14x11 version but quit using it a long time ago. Personally, I prefer a border so you don't touch the actual image when handling it or if you use tongs when processing. Also I have mostly stopped dry mounting because if something happens to the mat board there goes your print so the border holds archival corners.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I find with RC I don't need anything to hold the paper down. I made my own borderless easel just by cutting a piece of masonite to 11x14 and putting rubber feet on the bottom. When I use FB I use a bordered easel, but I'm toying with the idea of using tacky glue for borderless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a couple of different border-less easels and like them, more image on the paper. The ones I have work perfectly.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    Depending on your enlarging lens, sometimes you get a reflection off the inner side of the adjustable rails, resulting in a darkish band along the edges of the print. The solution is to take them off and paint them flat black to minimize the reflections.
    That's what I've done with mine. I really like it. I don't run into problems matting and having a little sliver of the border show.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Handy for printing 35mm full frame on 11x14 paper and just cut a mat to fit the photo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My experience with them is that they're fine if your paper is flat. Anything with a curl to it will make you nuts.
    Frank Schifano

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin