Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,341   Online: 923

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I took my D2 off of the baseboard and mounted it on a narrow shelf about 6" off of the countertop, with some VERY heavy duty brackets, and also secured the top of the enlarger column to the wall with steel strapping. I am pretty sure that it would make a sharp exposure during a small earthquake. The idea of the shelf mount was so that I could slide the easel wherever I needed to underneath it.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    Suzanne,

The difference between D-II and D-2 (I have both) has to do with the vertical column and the way it mounts to the baseboard. D-II has a cast base block attached to the vertical pole and has a single bolt with a giant plastic head at the middle. This "thing" bolts to what appears to be a giant flange that bolts to the base plate.

Please see THIS:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tkamiya9/4307163021/

you see a large black thing at the bottom? That's actually two pieces. Rotating part is at the very top and it's only about 1/2" thick. Rest is one piece cast block. You can see two bolts at the bottom and there are two more in the back.

Also, D-2 has a hand crack for height adjustment. D-II does not. Since most parts are interchangeable, quite a bit of mixing has happened between the two.

Is this what you have?
    Mine looks slightly different, especially at the bottom, and it does have a hand crank... here's a couple of pix.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OmegaD-2.jpg   based-2.jpg   OmegaD2a.jpg  
    Last edited by SuzanneR; 04-09-2010 at 08:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thats a D2 head and rail assembly (note the height adjustment crank) but don't know about that mounting turret.
    Could've been custom milled.
    Looks like you are missing a plate of some sort to bolt to your counter top.

My DII has a big hand screw thing in the center of the turret that allows the entire column to rotate. This was so you could rotate the column and project onto the floor because the rails aren't that long for big prints (the XL has longer rails)

A DII is called a push- pull in the vernacular because it lacks the height crank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You have D-2. You have a crank, you have the base assembly of D-2. You also have a variable condenser housing. What you need is the plate and the bolt thing I posted earlier.

From what I can tell, this whole bottom plate and assembly is there to clamp the bottom flange (shown shiny in your photo) pressed against the metal plate in my photo. Looking at mine, there is no reason why one can't drill through this bottom flange and directly screw it to the counter. Of course it won't rotate....

D-II is pretty much like that. It held in place by 4 fairly small screws. The top assembly (only) rotates on D-II.

As I said earlier, mine is also a mixture of D-2 and D-II. Since these enlargers were made in the 40s, it wouldn't surprise me parts were swapped around to keep one going.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It would be easy enough to make a couple of clamps similar to the ones Omega used & just mount directly to the baseboard.
    Actually you can get similar clamps from woodworking supply joints like Rockler. It would depend on cost for the original style vs. woodworking style.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    5. Omega mounting plate. This is Omega’s 7.5”-wide circular metal base plate, which goes onto the large base board, and the enlarger is bolted on top of it. It’s for enlargers whose column has, at its bottom, a (smaller) circular plate that fits on top of this mounting plate
    I saw this on the LF For Sale forum. Don't know if that is what you need or not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Check fleabay with a "Omega mounting plate" search. The mount you need is listed but in thrashed and trashed condition. Seller claims the hardware is included but no pictures are provided to confirm. Another is listed under "Omega base plate" but at 3X the price.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin