Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,495   Posts: 1,543,026   Online: 833

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    About wall mounting, my darkroom is in the basement. Is this ok to mount to simple studs in the wall? Or do I need more bracing?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    About wall mounting, my darkroom is in the basement. Is this ok to mount to simple studs in the wall? Or do I need more bracing?
    Beseler makes a wall mount kit which I have not used. I think it has a metal receptacle for the bottom of the column that bolts to the wall (so you might need cross bracing between the studs). The wall mount kit also serves as a spacer to position the column out from the wall so that the carriage crank has enough clearance.

With a wall mount, you could make a drop table by screwing wood strips to the sides of two cabinets at various intervals so that your most common enlargement size is at a comfortable height and larger prints are done with the baseboard dropped closer to the floor. That is handy if you have low ceilings in your basement. You do want to make sure that you have ceiling clearance for the center post.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Jerold, do you know the height of the center post off hand?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Also, I just checked out the Beseler 23CIII-XL. It's not a 4x5 enlarger, but it would certainly be a cheaper option. The dichro head looks kind of strange though. I could also sell my Beseler 45s head to help fund this enlarger. The VXL would be ideal though, not sure I have the space though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    All the Beselers are good enough. But the CB-7 is really old precursor to the 45MXT so getting one in good shape might be hard.

The VXL is all mechanical and a new one is unlike to wear out in a lifetime of personal use. It is built like a tank and meant to be put someplace and never moved. My only complaint is that alignment is not more elegant. The 4x5 Negaflat carrier is a great piece of equipment also.
    After reading comments at Glenview, I compared the 45MXT to the CB-7 and there is a world of difference. The 45MXT negative stage is very similar to the original 45M whereas, the CB-7 is rock solid, made totally different. The lower half of the negative stage doesn't move when you open up to insert negative carrier. This result is less play and better alignment.

I picked up a CB-7 and a 45MXT from a professional photographer, both in excellent condition. For me, this will be a nice upgrade from my really old 45M purchase used 25 years ago. Like most expensive enlargers, they are mainly owned by professionals or advanced armatures, have been carefully used, and don’t wear out easily.

I am looking for an affordable Negaflat, everyone that owns one seem to like it.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    Also, I just checked out the Beseler 23CIII-XL. It's not a 4x5 enlarger, but it would certainly be a cheaper option. The dichro head looks kind of strange though. I could also sell my Beseler 45s head to help fund this enlarger. The VXL would be ideal though, not sure I have the space though.
    If your 45 is the one with the struts out front, just get a newer version where the moved the struts to the rear. My first 45M has the struts out front although I did build a wood version of the Beseler table and in using it, never had a problem with up to 20x24 prints

Or, just build a table or bench that is lower to allow the VXL height yet, has a movable table to bring the easel to a normal working height. Sort of like the really big commercial enlargers that stand on the floor.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    From the top surface of the baseboard to the highest projection of the chassis for mounting the light head is 62".

My 45VXL currently has no light head mounted on it because it is in storage. But when I was actively using it, the 45VXL was mounted to the baseboard and the baseboard was set onto a 17.5" high platform and could easily be used with the Beseler Universal head mounted to the chassis at full height in a room with standard height ceiling.

Shooter
    35mm
    I had a 45mcrx and the colorhead broke so I pick up a CB7. The CB7 is much better than the 45. I saw the 45VXL in store and it looks very good too.

Images
    "The lower half of the negative stage doesn't move when you open up to insert negative carrier. This result is less play and better alignment."

This is the same for the V-XL—the stage that holds the negative carrier is stationary. I really like mine (I used to have a 45M.)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Dear Brian;
    I believe you'll love the VXL. I bought mine when they first came out and I use it with both heads but recently I've settled on the 45S as my standard. It is a massive machine but I use it on top of a large, old, govt. issue, steel office desk and with 8ft ceilings, have no problem going to 24x30 on the baseboard. My enlarger came from Beseler in perfect alignment and when I checked it last week it still is and that's well over a decade of constant use. You will never wear it out.
    Denise Libby

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin