Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,849   Online: 847

single size 20x24 easel?

were any ever made? i would only be enlarging 4x5 to this print size, so adjustable blades are unnecessary. the largest single size easel i've seen is 16x20.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Make one either from mount card which is how I made mine for some exhibition prints back in the mid 90's (it's still OK) or a wood base and mild steel. Any steel fabricator can cut thin sheet quickly & cheaply. In either cas just spray matt black.

Ian

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Speed-Ez-Els are/were made up to 20x24.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could also use a Formica or laminate surface on particle board with a temporary spray on glue or flat metal strips to hold the paper down.
    Because the particle board is a manufactured product it's as flat as an easel.
    You could mark the laminate with a marker or glue an edge on it for repeatable alignment.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I blu tac matt board corners to my enalrger bench when I print 20x24 (I don't do it often) to help me align the paper, and dispense with the easel altogether. A red filter under the lens is helpful to line everything up. So far all of my paper this size flops out nice and flat when I want to expose it. If only smaller sizes were better behaved. I still stop down to f/11 or 16 to gain a bit of depth of field in case there are any small waves in the paper.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is a Saunders Omega 20x24 four bladed easel in my darkroom right now. It works superbly at all sizes. The total cost was nil because the previous owner went digital. Surely these unpopular (heavy, eats bench space) but excellent easels deserve to fall into the hands of someone to turn out magnificent 20x24's!
    Last edited by Maris; 04-13-2010 at 07:33 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: more info
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the Saunders 16x20 single-size and I agree that it is especially nice when doing 4x5 and 8x10 negative enlargements, as they fit perfect. I was also looking for a 20x24 (or bigger) version but have never seen one though there are a few hints on the internet (and above post also) that Ganz may have made a 20x24 Speedeasel at some time. But I have not seen one actually for sale.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 04-13-2010 at 09:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin