Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,525   Online: 1047

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

schneider componon coolness

I just got the schneider kreuznech componon-s 80/4 enlarger lens (from keh) for 6x6 stuff, and it's the coolest enlarger lens I've ever used. I'm inclined to use it for all my 35mm and 6x6 stuff now. It's on my Chromega-B enlarger.

Two things make it cool. First, the aperture setting has backlight illumination. I've seen other lenses before with a lucite rod to illuminate the white lettering externally, but nothing beats the backlight. Second, it has a lever you can push to go wide open or back to the selected F stop setting. Great for recomposing or focusing between similar negatives. A worthwhile timesaver. (Sorta like the lever on a 35mm SLR lens built into the mount where you focus and compose wide open, and the camera moves the lever to stop it down for the photo)

Previously, I've sworn by El-nikkors because they have nice clicks and big friendly numbers on them. They are still good, but not quite as nice to use as this schneider with backlighting and aperture lever.

I am now looking for a similar lens in 135mm size for doing 4x5 printing with by beseler cb7. Quick research shows the other schneiders may have the backlit aperature readout, but are missing the stopdown/wideopen lever. Are there any other lenses for 135 range (widest of 4x5 choices) that have these two features?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All the Componon-S lenses of this design have the preset stop down lever. I agree, that lens you got is a real beauty. Got a couple of El-Nikkors too, and they're just as good; but that stop down lever on the Schneider is just too handy.
    Last edited by fschifano; 04-13-2010 at 05:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have one of those m'self, works jim-dandy. Mine hangs out under an Omega 4x5 Pro Lab.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Yep, I've got that one too. They are a nice lens to use.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Two things make it cool. First, the aperture setting has backlight illumination. I've seen other lenses before with a lucite rod to illuminate the white lettering externally, but nothing beats the backlight.
    That backlight has impressed me, too, until I found out that I don't quite need it. It only works during the exposure, when it's too late to set the aperture.
    Last edited by Vlad Soare; 04-15-2010 at 08:49 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Wouldn't you set the final aperture after focusing, while the light is still on for that?

Duncan

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I guess I should, but I usually remember to do it only after having turned the light off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks. I'm encouraged to find a deal on the 135mm model then. I set the aperture after I'm done composing/focusing and adjusting the magenta/yellow for contrast. I might then guess the exposure and make a test strip around that, then a final print.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That is cool. FWIW, the APO Rodagon lens I just got has this feature too. I wish it had a lever like the Schneider, since the method is a little fiddly. While you are stopped down at the desired aperture, you pull down on the front of the lens and turn it until it stops. Then when you turn the aperture ring, it stops at wide open and the stop you set it at.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    Thanks. I'm encouraged to find a deal on the 135mm model then. I set the aperture after I'm done composing/focusing and adjusting the magenta/yellow for contrast. I might then guess the exposure and make a test strip around that, then a final print.
    I have several of the Nikkors and like them but my 150 APO Componon is spectacular. Look around for one of them...Evan Clarke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin