Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,794   Online: 687

Shooter
    35mm RF

STUPID QUESTION ABOUT RH DESIGN ZONE MASTER II

OK, is a very vexed question, but I'm little bit slow-witted...
    Is possible use the Zone Master II simply "out of the box" with the Ilford Multigrade IV RC, or is necessary made a previous calibration, as with the old enlarging exposure meter?
    Thank you.
    Ciao.
    Vincenzo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Vincenzo

Given that I make the ZoneMaster II and "I would say that wouldn't I" but ....

If you're using a standard condenser or diffusion enlarger with a halogen lamp and Ilford Multigrade filters and paper, then you should get good results "out of the box". However, for best results it's always worth calibrating the meter to your own materials, equipment and methods as there are so many variables in photographic printing.
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    This may be a big off the thread's topic; however, I recently tried to calibrate my ZoneMaster II for ADOX MC110 and got rather unexpected results for exposure adjustment for grades 4 and 5. grades 00 through 3 looked pretty normal. I followed the instructions and cut back a stop for grade 4 and 5 since this appears to be built into the meter. To get a good test print, I had to compensate by adding almost two full stops. Does this sound reasonable? Also, has someone done a calibration for ADOX MC110 that they would like to share.

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slumry View Post
    To get a good test print, I had to compensate by adding almost two full stops. Does this sound reasonable? Also, has someone done a calibration for ADOX MC110 that they would like to share.

Thank you.
    Adox MCC is a similar emulsion to the late lamented Agfa MCC so I would expect the calibration figures to be similar (figures are available on our web site). We found a negative compensation was required at grades 4 and 5. However, it's not unusual to find quite big compensations at the hardest grades because the paper is very sensitive to small changes in exposure. Much will depend on the filters you're using. At the end of the day, what works for you is correct .
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin