Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,239   Posts: 1,679,980   Online: 1008

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Help Loading a Yankee Agitank

I recently found a Yankee Agitank cheap. It holds 12 4x5 sheets but I'll probably never put more than half that in at a time. The problem is getting the sheets into the skinny slots. I end up with the top in one slot and the bottom in the next slot or worse touching the next sheet. Maybe I just need to get the feel for it but are there any tried and true tricks to loading one of these? I have been using SS hangers and dip & dunk for years. Just wanted to try something different to lessen the time in the dark.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Wade,

When I used mine, I would drag the edge of the film over the slot dividers and count the snaps on each side. I would still have problems occasionally.

Good luck,

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The one I have has a little separate plastic guide device that you place on top of the first slot, slide the film in, move on to the next slot, slide the film in and so on .. makes it quite a bit easier I think.
    I have a photo blog ... and a Flickr ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mine is missing the guide. More practice in the dark is in order I think. Thanks for the replies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade D View Post
    Mine is missing the guide. More practice in the dark is in order I think. Thanks for the replies.
    I have an FR, which I believe is the precursor to the Yankee. (Actually I've heard it's exactly the same tank; when FR slipped away Yankee took over much of their lines. I don't know that for certain.)

Frankly, I think I would have a tough time loading it without the guide, especially if trying to do it in a changing bag. (I have a blacked out room and load film on a table top in the dark.) But honestly, I don't even really use the tank very much.

What I use (way *NOT* cheap) is a Phototherm sheet film insert. I bought it for my Phototherm, but Phototherms use Patterson reels. Ergo it's an exact fit in a Patterson 3 reel tank. Works flawlessly. Gives you four sheets in a Patterson tank, and way better than the taco method in my mind.

But again, it's not cheap. The insert is $130 for a plastic doohickey. The high cost is from vanishingly low sales volume. (Kind of like film!)

Here's a couple of links with pics and some discussion:

Here:http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/5...et-film-2.html

And over at photo.net:http://photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/00RMar

If you do want to use the Yankee without the guide, then I'd suggest you load every other slot as someone else offered. Maybe if you've got steadier hands than me, and you got used to it, then you could load every slot. But I also think they show up on evilBay frequently enough you can probably find one cheap.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Dear Wade,

When I used mine, I would drag the edge of the film over the slot dividers and count the snaps on each side. I would still have problems occasionally.

Good luck,

Neal Wydra
    I use the same method. I start by loading the slots farthest away from me, holding the sheets by the edges close to the slots, starting at the outside, and feeling and listening for the film to "snap" across the slots, counting until I know I am at an empty slot, and the film drops right in. If I am developing more than 6 sheets, when one side gets full I turn the frame 180 degrees and start over. I have noticed that I need to make sure that the frame is adjusted to the correct opening using an old, developed sheet of film before going dark. If the sides get compressed too closely together the film will not slide in easily.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    35mm
    The FR tank and the Yankee tank are two completely different animals.
    After the FR company went away the tank was sold under a few different names but not Yankee.
    As I remember the Yankee did NOT come with a loading guide.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin