Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,143   Online: 1117

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

condensor question

What, if any, are the detrimental effects of using a 6x6 condesor set with a 50 mm enlargerlens????

Thanks

Jaap Jan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    if you are working with a 35mm neg (to match the enlarger lens ) there should be no problem. if anything you should get more even lighting.
    Last edited by el wacho; 04-17-2010 at 04:07 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: reread the question.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks el wacho,

But I forgot to mention that I would be printing a 35mm negative. So the conbination of 35mm negative, 50mm lens, condensors for 6x6, would that work??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 6x6 condenser would spread the light a little more than the 35 neg would really need. It won't matter for the lens, and as el wacho says, at worst you'll get more even lighting, at the expense of slightly less light.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by naaldvoerder View Post
    ... would that work??
    Yes. You'll be fine.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't see where it will be a problem. At worst, your printing times will be a little longer. Use that to your advantage. Makes dodging and burning easier. Makes timing more accurate.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Omega 4x5 Pro Lab enlarger uses the same condesor placement for 50mm through 80mm lenses. There isn't any change until I switch to 90mm. My C-700's use the same placement up to 90mm lens.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there are high end enlargers out there where the condensors are optimized to particular lenses. I expect, however, that this is only relevant with respect to large enlargements.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, this is a problem. The condensers are focused for a certain lens distance. If the lens isn't where the condensers expect it to be then the result will be uneven illumination. So, you will be Ok only for very small enlargements or a little bigger than 1:1.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 04-18-2010 at 09:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    the condersers are "focused" by moving the enlarger lamp up/down. you should move your bulb to such height above the condenser that the image of the bulb filaments will be projected exactly to the place where your enlarging lens aperture is. so you have to move your bulb to different place every time you change the magnification (thus move the lens). bigger magnification -> bulb away from condenser.
    but it is critical only using projector bulb/pin-point light source, such as a single LED (as I'm currently using in focomat 1c) - using opal bulb makes things a lot more simple (if your opal bulb is really opal and is bigger than the negative area).

inserting a frosted filter above condenser helps a lot anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin