Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,893   Online: 932

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by frobozz View Post
    Did anyone but Nikor ever bother making a 20-exposure 35mm reel (the one on the right in the first picture)? I'd guess it's a Nikor based on that, unless someone else has seen another brand of that before.

Once I used Hewes 35mm reels, I got rid of all my ones built like this. It's night and day. The one downside is they're a tad taller, so depending on your cap style, you might not be able to fit 2 or 4 Hewes reels in a 2 or 4 reel Nikor tank.

Duncan
    I have several Kindermann 20 exposure reels. Its marked with their name and has the killer spike. Many times the steel will be stamped with a name or country of origin. I have found that Nikor, Kindermann, and Hewes all load easily. The others can range from good to challenging.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hewes are definitely marked - if not on the center plate with the two spikes, then on one of the ribs on the outside. (And definitely on the outside ribs on the Hewes 120 reels, which have no spiked plate because of no perforations.) I have seen some Nikors with a Hewes-like center plate (but with only one tab!) marked Nikor. I have seen a lot of crappy Nikor clones, some unmarked, and some marked "Japan."

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the first picture there's a tab at the right side of the 36 exposure reel. Nikor used to use those and I'm surprised it doesn't have their name on it.
    But anyway the one with the "C" loading is one of the easiest to deal with. If you insert the end of the film into it and just put a little bend in the film you can PUSH the film onto the reel as it moves across the table.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Update, the Kindermann 'marked' 35mm reel just arrived, and almost loads itself!
    And, if you find a Nikor as shown in post #10, you'll find it more desirable to load-than some of the 'generic' reels.

Why fight it in the dark? :o

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    In the first picture there's a tab at the right side of the 36 exposure reel. Nikor used to use those and I'm surprised it doesn't have their name on it.
    But anyway the one with the "C" loading is one of the easiest to deal with. If you insert the end of the film into it and just put a little bend in the film you can PUSH the film onto the reel as it moves across the table.
    If Nikor is on marked reel, you know its a Nikor. What is the chance that they made reels without their name on it? IMHO, none.

Without the name, its a copy. May work just as good, maybe not. Not every Taiwan, Japan, or not marked reel is bad, but many that do load, load with a struggle.

With the Nikor, Kindermann, Hewes, they work really easy. Of course, any reel that has been deformed by dropping or other means may become trash.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin