Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,456   Posts: 1,570,572   Online: 854

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

How to ID brand of reel? (Photos)

Any suggestions to help identify brand of 35mm reel? Three possible brands are shown, below.

John

Images
    Good Afternoon, John,

Could be any one of a number which use the Nikor-type "springy thingy" in the core instead of the more positive Kinderman or Hewes approach.

Konical

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Did anyone but Nikor ever bother making a 20-exposure 35mm reel (the one on the right in the first picture)? I'd guess it's a Nikor based on that, unless someone else has seen another brand of that before.

Once I used Hewes 35mm reels, I got rid of all my ones built like this. It's night and day. The one downside is they're a tad taller, so depending on your cap style, you might not be able to fit 2 or 4 Hewes reels in a 2 or 4 reel Nikor tank.

Duncan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The third picture with the single wire, rather than a spring clip, I think is a Nikor.

In the first picture, the one on the left looks like it could be a few different types. Kalt has that style clip. I wouldn't be surprised if it's some manufacturer who sells under various brands. Not sure I've seen the style of clip in the first picture on the right.

Hewes has a metal clip, but a different style. Kindermann has a spike that allows the film to pivot, which I find works well when I don't puncture my thumb and bleed all over the film.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    The third picture with the single wire, rather than a spring clip, I think is a Nikor......
    I'll agree with David, as the third pic looks identical to my Nikor reels.

Shooter
    35mm
    From your responses, first reel is off-brand, second (with large opening in center) is Nikor 20 exposure, and last photo is Nikor 36 exposure. Thanks for the feedback!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How do you load the third reel? I have one just like it but I can't figure out how to start the winding since the leading end won't stay put.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    How do you load the third reel? I have one just like it but I can't figure out how to start the winding since the leading end won't stay put.
    I assume you are referring to the Nikor reel, with the wire "C".

These are by far and away my favourite type of 35mm reels.

You just insert the end of the film into the "C" firmly.

The film lines itself up correctly, and crimps a bit. It will then start loading correctly, with the end securely held.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Third pic is a Nikkor type, what I been using for 50 years. If it won`t load, it has been bent. These are the first class ones you want.

I have one off brand with a larger center wrap, but looks just like the Nikkor otherwise. Film will not lock on, so I use it for short 12 to 24 exposures only.

The spring things may be Brooks from the 60`s. I can`t load them even in daylight when I can see. Mine were gifted from my brother and I never used them, can`t use them.
    He did use them so it must be me.

Shooter
    35mm
    During practice with a dummy roll, the Nikor reels loaded easily (Another member donated two 'straight' reels of this type).
    Of course, there's only one direction to move the film during loading-with the windings going outward 'with' the spiral wires

Thanks to those that identified the Nikor, shown-below (and the short '20' Nikor in photos 1,2):

Last edited by Hikingman; 04-20-2010 at 12:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin