Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,659   Posts: 1,481,456   Online: 1065

Shooter
    Medium Format

Glass in a Negative Carrier

I am currently refurbishing an Automega E5 for 5x7 - all seems to be set except for the negative carrier. The glass for it was not in the carrier and one piece of it is broke so I have to replace that.

I am at a loss as to how this works. The carrier has two sides to it, one has a recess where the glass would be placed and the other has two metal clips at the either narrow end. Neither piece of glass seems to quite fit under these clips. Does the negative fit in between these clips? Does the carrier only use the one piece of glass and the negative just rests on top of it? Or do you sandwich the negative between two pieces of glass?

I am going to go to a glass cutter tomorrow - is there a special type of glass I should ask for? One of these pieces is thinner and clearer, the other is a bit thicker and has a greenish tint.

Any ideas?

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    E negative carriers are not that common, could you post a picture?
    I'd ask for anti-newton glass on top and regular optical glass below.

If your local supplier can't fix you up correctly, check out fpoint.

https://linux19.domainnameservers.ne...ENLARGER_GLASS
    Last edited by ic-racer; 04-19-2010 at 06:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hope this works. The piece on the left has the recess, it is twice the thickness as the piece on the right which has the clips.

Well, I don't see an image except as a http address in the edit window - I posted it on flickr as

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17331038@N00/4536536142/

Any reason why the image is not here?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    unless your negative sags, only use one glass - the one on top. If the neg does sag, then you need both but on 4x5, only the top one is needed really; keeps the neg from bowing upward from the lamphouse heat.
    Tim Flynn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It looks like it holds the glass like other Omega glass holders I have seen, in that the glass needs to be tapered at the edge and thin. With that holder, of course, you need two pieces of glass for it to work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I suppose I could try it without the glass? If the upper glass is more important, I think I could do without it as it is a cold light head. We shall see!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    And the one on the left goes on the bottom, correct? It has the recess.

For sheet film, only top glass is needed, although I use two on my 4x5. If there is sag, you need two.

Top and bottom glass is tapered 45 deg on the short end to fit under the clips.

AN glass on top only, plain on bottom.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin