Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,953   Posts: 1,558,002   Online: 1100

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The cooling fan in my 504 colour head is not my noise problem

The cooling fan on the transformer (transtab) is the noisy one - quite how noisy is not really apparent until you turn it off at the end of the session - bliss

If the fan in the head is noisy - check it out for vibration - it might be shaking the head enough to blur the image on the baseboard.

I too moved up from a Kaiser (which is itself a nice enlarger) to a DeVere and its hard to go back to use the Kaiser even when I need the smaller format capability

Martin

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    The fans used are fairly standard and easy to get hold of, but computer fans are low voltage, De Vere fans I think are mains voltage.
    I could be wrong but I thought the fans were 24V like the ELC lamps.

In my experience it is normal for them to be a bit noisy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depends on the head, some use 120v lamps, paired in series for 240v supplies.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you for your opinions and solutions. I know for a fact that the fan has been a little noisy for atleast decade because the previous owner honestly told about it. I think for the time being I am not looking into this any deeper than cleaning it.

Next I think I can direct a thread established by myself to new direction. The next question is: THE DICHRO FILTER DIALS. Are they suppose to be a little sticky and and hard to roll? I can feel it in my fingertips because of their friction. I hope these would be a little easier to operate, because I suspect they might chance the place (just marginally) of the head when it comes to split grade printing. Have any of you guys tried to do anything about this, or is it something I have to accept?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by niina View Post
    Next I think I can direct a thread established by myself to new direction. The next question is: THE DICHRO FILTER DIALS. Are they suppose to be a little sticky and and hard to roll? I can feel it in my fingertips because of their friction. I hope these would be a little easier to operate, because I suspect they might chance the place (just marginally) of the head when it comes to split grade printing. Have any of you guys tried to do anything about this, or is it something I have to accept?
    My CMY Dials require a moderate effort to move them but nothing unusual of unexpected - pleasantly firm rather than stiff.

I use a set of Ilford Under the Lens MG Filters for my printing, as I did not believe the head would be stable enough not to move during split grade printing (although I never verified this suspicion)

The standard MG Under the Lens Carrier will cope (just) with a 52mm filter barrel of a Componon-S or Rodagon.

Actually, I have dialled in 50Y/50M/50C to keep my printing time in a sensible time range.

If I have a very large print or very dense Neg, I just dial the filters out using the white light knob, so leaving the filter settings unaffected.

Martin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin