Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,954   Posts: 1,522,796   Online: 990

Shooter
    Multi Format

Durst M605 Colour Enlarger Parts & Usage

So I have just bought a Durst M605 with colour head to get myself back into analogue printing, which I haven't done for about 30 years.

Question 1: As Durst ceased production of enlargers in 2006, is there a good source of parts and optional extras? In particular, I am looking for a SIVOPAR 66 kit, which is the parts needed to put 6x6 negatives in the carrier.

Question 2: Even though I have bought an enlarger with a colour head, my main intention is to print B&W. Last time I printed 30+ years ago we used to have different grades of paper for contrast control. Now I believe it is all done with multigrade paper. Is it possible to control the contrast by manipulation of the built-in colour mixing controls? Or do I need to get a set of multigrade filters?

Cheers, Peter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For Question 2, yes you basically dial in the appropriate amount of Magenta and Yellow filtration (Cyan usually stays set to zero). Ilford MG papers contain a chart listing the filtrations for various different groups of enlargers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hiya Peter,
    Can't really help you with question 1, but fleabay is pretty good with durst bits 'n bobs. Regarding question 2: You certainly can use the colour head to dial in the correct filtration for MG papers, although personally, I use Ilfords' MG filters.
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Peter,

I use a Durst M605 Color for BW print since 1985 without any trouble. You don't need to buy specific filters to use VC paper as the color head can do a similar job.

Just give a try and set the standards according to your taste. Soon, you won't think anymore in terms of paper grade but in terms of color points (25 Yellow, 40 Magenta, etc...). Too, don't forget to adjust the exposure time according to the filter. I did a small chart giving the exposure factor according to yellow or magenta filtration. It is not perfect but close enough to reality to be useful.

Take care.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys for your help on Q.2. I will put that into action when I finally get my bath....er....darkroom set up.

I have had some luck on fleabay already, snagging a pair of 645 negative masks and a mounting plate for 80mm lens. I have put in a memorised request for 6x6 masks also, so eventually one might pop up.

Yesterday I had to re-visit the guy who sold me the enlarger because he had forgotten to include the 12v transformer, and this time he gave me a gadget which is labelled "Polysales Cd Se Enlarging Meter". It has an on-off switch, a turning knob labelled from 1 to 12, a hole labelled "Sensor Cell" and a light labelled "Balance". I presume that I should place it on the baseboard and turn the knob until the light comes on. Then, how the relative number relates to exposure time I don't know. I have tried to google a set of instructions, but no luck. Has anyone had experience with these meters?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wild guess:- the 1-12 scale is for paper or density calibration. If the balance light goes on and off as the light level changes, then it is a bridge circuit and when the light strikes you are at the calibration point. If the cell is small enough you could use it for determining shadow exposure. I could be wildly wrong, too!

Polysales was a small operation based in Godalming, Surrey, UK many years ago (70's). They sold various photographic items.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try this company for spare parts: www.northernphoto.co.uk
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    There is a crowd in the states called Durst USA (I think its Jensen) have a search.
    They may help. I have got large format stuff from them.
    Pat
    What grain............................................. ...............
    Oh sorry, I forgot you don't shoot Large Format
    Large format Pat.

http://www.largeformatpat.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin