Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,515   Online: 778

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Rotatrim.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    One consideration has to do with whether or not you are cutting unprocessed photographic paper; the rotary cutters are everything they are cracked up to be, but you do have to slip the paper under the hold-down bar (at least on the Rotatrim that I have) and this may lead to scratching of some films or papers, particularly if some grit gets in there.

On the other hand, the (cheap) guillotine that resides in the darkroom for making test strips and the like is always generating a new pile of fine iron dust where the fixed and moving blades rub at the start of the cut, so I am constantly having to clean it up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a couple of old Nikor rotary cutters that are perfect for cutting coated paper. The guillotine cutters tend to pull the sheet where as the rotary is more precise. I got them used many years ago and I think comparable new ones are fairly expensive.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a guillotine for rough cuts in the dark darkroom and a straight-edge knife for precision cuts in the light matting room.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    P.S. I do my film rota-trimming in a LF changing tent.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    I cut the tip of the index finger on my left hand off while cutting paper in the darkroom with a guillotine knife. I was in sixth grade. I still have a very nice triangular piece of finger missing. Funny thing is, I never felt it. Didn't even realize there was anything wrong until I noticed the blood all over the paper and the floor.

Besides, as has been mentioned, the standard office type guillotine knife never cuts square.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Rotating blade every time for me,never found guilotine cut square for me,and my prefered cutter is rototrim,nice solid cuttersRichard

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Rotatrim for mounting prints. I can't use anything else. Pre-cut mattes are, in my opinion, by far the better part of valor so I don't need any other type of cutter.
    Jim

I have trimmed .010 off sheet film in the dark with a rotary. for precision control it is superior.

I use the arm type to rough cut paper before enlarging, but all precision work is Besslar Rotatrim.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I went through this dilemna years ago and finally decided on an IDEAL precision safety guillotine.

It was expensive but has now operated flawlessly for two decades with the original blade. It cuts film and paper with dead square corners with a razor sharp blade in pitch blackness with perfect safety. The spacer bar and automatic hold down clamp prevent work moving around so cuts accurate to 1/1000 of an inch are repeatable. 8 ply mount board cuts like butter.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin