Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,674   Online: 1162

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Sometimes I can't believe my Rotatrim is 18 years old and still works like new. It's had a lot of use.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'd debated about spending the money on a Rotatrim until I saw one in a lab at a workshop, and it looked completely beaten up with blotches of rust on the metal parts, and it still cut perfectly and was in good alignment.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The sharpest of sharps is unbeatable: #23 scalpel blade on #11 handle with steel-edge rule.

And current life insurance in case you slip-up... These pups cut a mean streak. :o
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've used both types, and if used properly with hold-downs, both will give an equally fine cut. However, for large sheets—in my case, over about 12 inches—I find the rotary type much easier to use. I currently use a Rotatrim, and don't plan on going back to the knife style.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco Gilardetti View Post
    Ladies and gentlemen,

I can't make up my mind between the two main models of paper cutters, which I would primarily use to cut heavy weight photographic paper in the darkroom.

<snip>.....
    I have had and use both an A4-size razor guillotine and a 48" rotatrim for many years. Both work really well on heavy paper. I use the guillotine for everything it is large enough for, anything bigger (such as my A0 inkjet prints) get the rotatrim. There is nothing to choose in squareness or cut quality between the two.
    Peter.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Good morning, and thank you very much for your insight.

I understand that, although many people use the guillotin-knife with success, there is somewhat more consensus towards the rotary-blade.

However, as long as I can buy five excellent and locally made guillotin-knife units for the price of the model most people suggested, I will give the guillotin a try first, and eventually switch to the rotary blade in the future in case it will turn out to be not what I need.
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Funny thing is, I never felt it. Didn't even realize there was anything wrong until I noticed the blood all over the paper and the floor.
    That's the sign of a very sharp blade.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    One thing I would like to add.. if you have a large amount of paper to cut, you can take it to Kinkos and have it cut.
    (of course this is no good for sensitied paper)
    They have hydraulic cutters there.

Check out your local warehouse store, I just bought a rotary cutter for my wife and it was inexpensive.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Like rotary trimmers, there are good guillotine cutters and cheap garbage cutters. My observation is that the larger and heavier models to work better, but they take up a lot of space. You can probably get more precise cutting for less money and better spatial organization with a rotary trimmer. If you are going for a guillotine trimmer, get a heavy-duty model.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently found an 18" Rotatrim Mastercut on Craigslist for $40.00.

I went to see it, and took along some scrap pieces of photographic paper.

It was easy to trim off 1/2 millimetre slices of those scraps - straight and clean cuts each time.

It is now sitting happily in a largish clear area below my enlarger .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin