Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,162   Online: 1107

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

Guillotin-knife or rotating-blade paper cutter for darkroom use?

Ladies and gentlemen,

I can't make up my mind between the two main models of paper cutters, which I would primarily use to cut heavy weight photographic paper in the darkroom.

I definitely had in mind to go for the Guillotin-knife style, because we have one at the office and it is very fast, extremely solid and reliable.

However, the shop owner insisted that the rotating-blade types are more accurate and easy to use. However, the models he has shown to me looked made with tin and chinese plastic, with a itty-bitty guide bar and an awful work table. More a toy than a dependable tool.

Which one do you use, and are there actually any good reasons to prefer a rotating blade unit over a traditional guillotin model?

Thank you and good evening.
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are cutting a sheet at a time then the rotating blade cutters are really superior. Quality units are available from
    Rotatrim. http://www.amazon.com/Rotatrim-RC-24.../ref=pd_cp_p_1
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Guillotin-knife style never cuts square for me. Always pushes the paper as it cuts. Go with a rotary style.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Here's a second on the rotating blade cutter, but you have to get a Rotatrim, not one of the cheapy little ones like you say he's showing you.

Both types work better if you work on one sheet at a time. If you're willing to suffer flaws you can cut more sheets. With the rotary cutter the main flaw is ragged edges with little strings and things. With the guillotine cutter the main flaw is sheets that scoot and don't get cut square.

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I also like rotary.. and it is much safer. One really nice thing about them is that when you do need to replace the roller, it's inexpensive. I use a rotary unit to cut 8x10 to 4x10 and to cut 5" roll film to various lengths. I get a perfect cut about 95% of the time.

(Guillotines can actually be more accurate but definitely not the office kind that most people use. There is a straight-down kind used in the publishing industry that can cut through many reams very accurately.)
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    (Guillotines can actually be more accurate but definitely not the office kind that most people use. There is a straight-down kind used in the publishing industry that can cut through many reams very accurately.)
    Oh, sure, for truly precision cutting of multiple sheets, one of the hydraulic ones with the need-both-hands-on-two-switches actuating scheme is the way to go. I'm betting most darkrooms aren't big enough to house one of those!

Also a good point about rotary being safer. I still have a scar on the knuckle of my left thumb from a near de-thumb-itation when I was a teenager and working in the darkroom of a local photo store.

Duncan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Go rotary and go expensive (i.e., Rotatrim), assuming you are cutting a print at a time for mounting.

Cheap rotary trimmers are often not square, or are "adjustable," which means they fall out of square with use and you have to keep squaring them up.

Even with a Rotatrim, I would try to get my hands on the one I was buying and test it for square (cut a piece of rather large paper using the cut edge for the reference edge for the next cut. If cut no.4 isn't exactly even, then the cutter isn't square).

Buy the best and cry once.

Best,

Doremus Scudder
    www.DoremusScudder.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Definitely a rotary cutter. It's much more precise. So precise in cutting photos that you could shave thin trimmings from the photo. However, you'll wreck the blade if you cut mat board with it. Rotatrim is an excellent brand.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have both but almost always use the guillotine. It cuts accurately if you hold the paper in place and it is quick in the dark if you are cutting paper sizes down. The guillotine can cut much thicker stock. I even cut mat board and card board with mine... the same cutter I have been using since 1990. That said, for 16x20 paper I would use the rotary cutter.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As Mainecoon said don't use a rotary for matt board you can ruin the blade. Just use a straight edge & knife.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin