Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,358   Online: 843

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

My 35 film reel is broken

My plastic reel cracked, i dont know why, maybe chemical or temperature fatigue, I have to process a couple of rolls in short time , the results dont need to be prestine, cause it is for a 35mm lo-fi kinda messy presentation of mine, but i dont know what to do, the stores near me dont have film reels, and i cant wait the time to order one in the net, and i am in europe, so there isnt much choice in online ordering.
    Is there a way to process film without using a reel in the tank, any other homemade aparatus that will barely do it ?

Thanks.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Pour the developer into a bowl, hold on to the film on each end and drag it through the bowl (in darkness of course). Do this back and forth until the dev time is up. I guess this counts as continuous agitation, so you might want to reduce the developing time a bit.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ever tried processing film inside the cassette it came in?
    Neither have i , but i rember having seen it many, many years ago, i believe on some open university program on tv.

Searching the web for it, i came across a reference to the Darkroom Cookbook, page 62, that should describe the same, but the page(s) did not come up in Google books.
    I think there are quite a few fellow-APUGgers who have that book, so maybe they could chime in?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The "see-saw" method given by manfromh is an old, established procedure. Unfortunately, it takes an arm spread about like King Kong if you have a 36 exposure roll.

I worked once doing convention photography for a small outfit. On the road, we souped perhaps forty or fifty rolls of 120 film at a time in a plastic dishpan filled with developer. The films were just put in the developer and once wet and limp they were kept unwound and just moved around randomly. Can't say the development was the most even in the world, but it worked and the printers at home, using cold light enlargers, kind of evened things out.

The "see-saw" method is the way to go, however.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    I am looking foward that in cassete solution, otherwise i might go with the bowl option.

Shooter
    35mm
    So you are adivsing just drop the roll inside the plastic cage into a solution of developer and stir and stir, and then just do the same for the other steps ?

I might try both methods, so it is expected the "see-saw" will give great results, but there is too much space for errors, i might just cut a piece and do it, if i am happy, i will have to bear with the arm ache.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    ...Searching the web for it, i came across a reference to the Darkroom Cookbook, page 62, that should describe the same, but the page(s) did not come up in Google books.
    I think there are quite a few fellow-APUGgers who have that book, so maybe they could chime in?
    I have the 1st and 3rd edition of this book and can't find anything about it. The 1st edition talks about fixing and the 3rd about pyro on their page 62. Maybe it's in the 2nd edition or my eyes are worse than I thought.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    my rolls are 24, so i guess 24 works better than 36 in the cassete method because there is less film crammed in the same space right ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some company used to make a device to develope film inside the cassett years ago, one of my chums had one and tried it, results were excruciatingly disappointing. Seems you have to turn the center spindle one way then the other to work the developer inte the wraps of film, it didn't do well for him, lots of blank and mottled nothing with the occasional image. I think the see-saw method would work better, or a large flat bottom dish that would allow the film to lay in loose coils on the bottom. It would mean working in total darkness, but would allow for even development.
    One thing you may want to look into, when you order new reels, purchase a "film apron" at the same time. Then next time a reel breaks you have a back-up device that can be used in the daylight tank.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Where in Europe are you?
    There might be an apuger with a spare reel nearby.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin