Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,919   Online: 864

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm

Readers' Efforts request

Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures of the different implementations. The heaviest I've seen was made of stainless steel.
    Here is mine (Pic: TestStripOverview2). Made of 3 mm and 6 mm Medium Density Fibreboard. I raised the hinges with a shim of RC paper, to raise the flap the thickness of my usual paper (Pic: TSHinge)). I put in the recommended notches to facilitate shifting the paper the correct distance after each exposure, but found them unnecessary as I shift the paper with the safelight on; ruled black lines make this easy under vision (Pic: TSStrips)). The first shift is difficult with the paper abutting the edge of the frame, so I gouged a groove for the fingernail (Pic: TSNailCatch). I left an overhang at the left hand end of the flap (Pic: TSFlange); lifting the flap by hooking the left index finger under it is easier, I think, than grasping a knob on top. Finally, all my home made easels are 20 mm thick (for autofocus). A square of 6mm MDF and a Maplins stick-on 9 mm thick rubber foot (Pic: TSFoot) gives a height of 21 mm, not quite 20 mm but near enough not to affect focus for test strip purposes.
    Richard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TestStripOverview2.jpg   TestStripHinge.jpg   TestStripStrips.jpg   TestStripFoot.jpg   TestStripFlange.jpg  

TestStripNailCatch.jpg  

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    well done youngrichard! I like the paper shimming.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Hand tools? I have a CNC drill/router at work which I may put up to the task!

Steve.

Steve knowing your skills in this area you'll find it kid's play and well worth the effort. I got mine done by someone with a laser cutter that cut plastic. Using pieces of both black and white plastic I find the paper slides easily and the guides for exposing each section a inch at a time show up very well.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well. I have a laser cutter too!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for the plans. I have a few more weeks of night school left but after that, I intend to make one of these. There is a board we have that is dark on one side, light on the other so I can use the same material and simply flip it over to use the lighter/darker side where I want it. I have always wondered if doing test strips "across the board" of the whole image was giving me good cues about the printing I want to get. The way you explained this and its use makes much more sense to me and allows me to pick where I want to get a test strip and therefor get an accurate starting point to my printing. Having a home darkroom, albeit small, works well but works better with efficient tools. This is one such tool that I intend to get some good use out of. Once again, thank you.
    Tim Flynn

hec
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you very much for sharing the design Ralph. I'll make mine with foamboard & tape, I'm not good with handtools.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I made something similar some time ago from foam-board and hot-glue.

I found the corks from sherry bottles (they have a 'bulb' on them) make good handles - just hot glue the cork end to anything that needs a knob.

Durst made a version that had a sliding cover over the exposure slot: the cover had a pin you pressed into the paper and this advanced the paper under the slot each time the cover was moved.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin