Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,226   Online: 1025

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I have one sold for wine making.

Steve.
    Ditto, these are very accurate and fast and not that expensive, i use two and they cost 15.00 [nz$] each. Get from brewers store.
    regards
    CW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How cheap is cheap? I like the sub-$30 Paterson one from Freestyle (http://www.freestylephoto.biz/381-Pa...er?cat_id=1603). I've bought it three times (gave one away and broke one). This thermometer seems like a good balance between cost and quality, and there is no reason it should not last a very long time if you treat it carefully.

P.S. After looking at the B&H Website, I see that they offer (via special order and a two-to-four-week wait) a Photographer's Formulary 12" thermometer that looks just like the Paterson one, but is under $15. Perhaps if you get it directly from Formulary, it will be faster and/or cheaper.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 04-26-2010 at 05:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    How cheap is cheap? I like the sub-$30 Paterson one from Freestyle (http://www.freestylephoto.biz/381-Pa...er?cat_id=1603).
    Yes, I've bought that one twice. The column separated on the first one due to my own carelessness (got to warm) and I couldn't fix it. Now I use the replacement to calibrate the el-cheapo $10 digital kitchen thermometers from WalMart which are surprisingly consistent, if not always in agreement with the Paterson unit. The digital thermometer I'm using now reads about 1/2 deg. F low compared to the Paterson. That's ok. It's ALWAYS 1/2 degree low.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can't call it cheap, but the slickest accessory I have in the darkroom is a non-contact "point and shoot" instant-reading digital thermometer with a laser beam pointer built in. I've seen them for maybe $50-$60. It can accurately and instantly read liquids or solids from a few inches up to several feet away, runs on a 9V battery. No need for water proofing, it never gets near liquids.
    Last edited by picker77; 04-28-2010 at 08:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-9842-Co...2501423&sr=8-1

This one looks great. I have a digital probe thermo but it lacks the precision of the above (only whole degree readout) - maybe it's really not necessary except for the hard core dyed-in-the-wool masochist/control freak...

the non-contact one sounds great... it would be interesting to see trial data from that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd avoid the paterson ones though 2F - I always found their stuff kind of junky. I think it's just rebranded bargain basement stuff... unless you're going with a kodak process thermometer, the digi consumer stuff on amazon or wherever else can't be beat. Anything that says 'darkroom' or equivalent on it is going to come with 'sucker markup'.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A recent thread on Digital thermometers...

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/7...rmometers.html

Reinhold

www.classicBWphoto.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I just picked up the Legacy Pro Luminous Dial Thermometer (http://www.freestylephoto.biz/62011-...al-Thermometer). I've only used it for a handful of rolls (and I am about as far from professional as you get), but I've been happy with the response time and accuracy so far.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You get what you pay for - Thermapen.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    spent some extra bucks and you have one for about $50 which is capable of +/- .1 accuracy. It will last forever.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin