Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,011   Online: 703

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

My thermometer sucks - Cheap alternatives?

Hi there,

On round 4 of my film developing renaissance, I'm realizing the $6 thermometer I bought really blows...very slow to respond to temperature changes. Is there a cheap digital alternative? I was thinking about going to Target and buying a cheap digital cooking thermometer. Bad idea?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    I bought a couple digital cooking thermos, a cheap one and a more expensive one ($20 ?). The cheap one filled with condensation and was useless within two days. The better one does both Farenheit and Celcius, .1 degree increments. Tested against a good laboratory thermo, it is quite accurate ( +/- .2 Deg) over the typical range of use (10 -60 C), so it's quite sufficient for my work. I doubt it's water-tight, so a submersion probably means bye-bye.

-Ian
    - Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I bought a kodak glass thermometer from BH a few months back - works like a charm. Tried the digi cooking therms, not worth the hassle. I'd say go with a good glass thermometer. I think BH still has the kodak ones still in stock.

Shooter
    35mm
    walmart sells a stalk-type digital thermometer with a wide temperature range and fast response. It also has a screw on the side so that you can calibrate it. They are pretty cheap and work very well. I can't seem to find them on the website, though.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95382

also available for more money elsewhere. Not waterproof, but it does dry out and starts working again.

The repeatability is excellent on the one I have, which is more important than the accuracy.

The inexpensive indoor/outdoor ones are good too, just remove the plastic housing on the thermistor and dunk in liquid electrical tape.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    ...on the one I have, which is more important than the accuracy.

The inexpensive indoor/outdoor ones are good too, just remove the plastic housing on the thermistor and dunk in liquid electrical tape.
    Excellent idea - bigger display too!
    - Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have one sold for wine making.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a dial face thermometer from NAPA auto parts for less than ten bucks. Its for measuring A/C temps at the vent and reacts quickly plus accurate.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sully, all good advice. I check my cheapo using thermometers periodically against a mercury lab thermometer. I have five of the lab ones, and they all agree. I have so many because I bought them from a lab supply that was closing out mercury thermometers. Problem is, they are about two feet long.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a number of thermometers, but basically I use two:

1) a good, accurate and somewhat expensive thermometer (Kodak Process Control thermometer) which I use as a calibration thermometer; and
    2) a digital thermometer with a probe, designed for the kitchen.

Here is an example of the digital thermometer:

http://www.target.com/Taylor-TruTemp..._com_brand-bin

The digital thermometer is quite consistent, and reads very near the readings of the Kodak thermometer. I check the digital thermometer against the Kodak thermometer on a reasonably regular basis.

The digital thermometer responds quickly to temperature changes, and the probe makes it much easier to keep the body of the thermometer (including the battery compartment) away from liquids.

If thermometers are accurate and consistent near 20 C and 38 C, they will suffice for my uses.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin