Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,946   Posts: 1,585,862   Online: 1019

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have one tank that holds two 35mm reels (adjustable to 127 and 120). I've never had to do more than two rolls of 35mm at once, and I dont shoot my holga enough to justify getting a bigger tank to do two or more 120 rolls. At the school I go to, we have one big-ass monsterous tank that'll hold 4 120 reels or 7, possibly 8, 35mm reels (I tried to fill it up with 35mm reels, but could only find 7. A last one might fit, but it would be a tight fit). I doubt I'll ever need to develop that much film at once, but I might stock up on exposed film just to give it a try for the hell of it

Now that I've given you a paragraph of useless babble, I have only used one tank at a time. I'm too clumsy and scatterbrained to try two. three would probably be enough for me to screw up at least one of the rolls I'll just use the gigantic knee-high tank if I have lots of film to do
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    One tank at a time for me, and I try to develop film on the day I finish the roll, next day at the very latest,Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I usally do one tank at a time. If I do any more I could mess them up!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I routinely process 6-8 rolls of 120 film at a time
    in 2-reel steel tanks. It's easy once you get the
    workflow down. I use only one timer, set for the
    first tank, and start another tank every 60 seconds,
    and then empty each every 60 seconds at the end.
    I number the side of each tank so I can keep track
    of them -- so long as you don't mix up the tanks,
    it's easy.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Two tanks with two rolls each of 120 film. Clearly mark each of the tanks so they won't be confused. One timer. Two separate graduates with developer, water only for stop and two separate containers of fix and then mix clear while fixing so there is no chance of clearing without first fixing. My washer holds all four reels at the same time. Works for me for many years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have done two, but I always wait until the first is in the fix before starting the developer, and the first might overfix a bit. Two timers is a definite help.

To combat this I have moved to occasionally run larger tanks. I have a Paterson that will do 5-35mm at once, and a pair of them that will do 2-120 width reels at once if you don't ask the spirals to spin in the tank. I routinely run 2-120 reels end to end on Paterson spirals.

Wait for David William White to chime in. He has been known to toss a large qty of films, sans reels into a gallon tank of developer, and then fish them into a gallon tank of stop, etc, while processing in total darkness to get caught up on a backlog.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post

Wait for David William White to chime in. He has been known to toss a large qty of films, sans reels into a gallon tank of developer, and then fish them into a gallon tank of stop, etc, while processing in total darkness to get caught up on a backlog.

Whaa?????

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    ... Wait for David William White to chime in. He has been known to toss a large qty of films, sans reels into a gallon tank of developer, and then fish them into a gallon tank of stop, etc ...
    That sounds insane. What could one possibly accomplish doing that - other than destroy film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've juggled 3 tanks at once 1x5 spirals, 1x2 and 1 single; indeed challenging, but all rolls looked great and consistent.
    Poured out all chemicals for each tank and started with the double and single tanks first, then poured in the 5 roll whilst the first two sat for 1 minute.

From there, I kept tabs on times and agitation. As I said, challenging, but time was against me, so couldn't do as single batches. If I had to do again, I'd see if I could get another 5 tank and just do the two together. Would make it easier on the brain!!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I only ever dev/stop/fix one tank at a time.

If I have lots of rolls of film, I have 5 tanks which I pre-load and lined up ready to go.

As soon as the first tank has started to wash, I can then devote my full attention to getting the next jug of developer to 20C and as soon as I am ready I start on the second tank

The choke point in my film processing is the film dryer - films need a minimum of 30 minutes to guarantee being completely dry.

Getting tanks of film through the dev/stop/fix process faster doesn't improve my start to end time.

How do you guys get over the film drying issue when you have lots of rolls to process?

Martin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin