Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,463   Posts: 1,570,646   Online: 829

Shooter
    35mm

Help With Developing

Hey guys, so I just picked up my first 35mm SLR with the hopes of starting to develop my own film. I know there are a bunch of guides on developing black and white film but I haven't seen very many regarding how to use an enlarger. If you guys have any links regarding either of the two topics, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An enlarger is nothing more than a device that projects an image from a negative onto a sheet of photographic paper which is then developed for a finished positive image. Raising the head enlarges the image while lowering the head reduces the projected size. This a very basic process.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilford also has beginner info on their website; http://www.ilfordphoto.com/applications/page.asp?n=9
    Including enlarging.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome. That Ilford site is a good one.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Go to the APUG article archives and search 'brunner'. Jason is the resident wig-out guru and has a series of four videos on getting started developing. INVALUABLE.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    An enlarger is nothing more than a device that projects an image from a negative onto a sheet of photographic paper which is then developed for a finished positive image. Raising the head enlarges the image while lowering the head reduces the projected size. This a very basic process.
    This is the model I have always used: An enlarger and a camera are equal and opposite devices. They are practically the exact inverse of each other.

Whereas, with a camera, light reflects off your subject, goes through the lens and is focused on the film, in an enlarger light comes from the negative, goes through the lens then lands on the photo paper.

You don't need to concern yourself with the intricate details of the math and the physics but, if you think about the general idea of it, you'll see that everything about the way an enlarger works is almost exactly backwards of the way a camera works.

I'm the kind of person who needs to form a picture inside my head to understand the way things work. This "inverse" model really helps me to "see" the process in my mind so I can solve problems and answer my own questions.

So, to put it in a humorous way, if you know how to use a camera you can just do everything backwards and you'll know how to use an enlarger!
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    welcome, here is another
    regards
    CW

http://www3.telus.net/drkrm/

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin