Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,769   Posts: 1,484,209   Online: 848

Shooter
    35mm RF

Durst S 609 vs F60

Hello folks,

Bought a camera a few months ago, started developing, really enjoying it, so thought I'd pick up an enlarger and have a go at printing.

Many models around for next to nothing on the local NZ auction site; there doesn't seem to be a lot of information around on the web comparing enlargers (or even explaining them much!). Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places?

Anyhow, right now I'm tossing up between two.

There's a Durst F60. It's more local, comes with more goodies (trays, print dryer etc., 120 holder as well as the 35mm). However it comes with a Rodenstock Trinar 75mm lens; the Trinar is a pretty average lens, no? Also, 75mm is a bit big for 35mm lens, isn't it?

The other one is a Durst S609. This one has been hard to track down information about, there's plenty of info on the 609, but the S609 looks much more modern and different. This one is a little harder to pick up. However it comes with two lenses, Minolta E. Rokkors, 50mm and 75mm. I hear these are very good lenses? Also the S609 just looks plain sturdier and `better' somehow.

According to the seller, this S609 was used long ago to print colour from slides. I take it this means printing B&W will be just fine -- the `colour heads' I see discussed in places refer to printing from C41 negs, getting rid of the orange film base?

Any opinions on these two models? All help is greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All you need is a filter drawer to to print color (or multigrade B&W) so the fact that the S609 was used to print color does not always mean it has a color head.

Are there "Yellow", "Magenta" and "Cyan" knobs on the S609? If so go with that one. If neither has a color head, then it is probably a toss up. Either one should work fine.

The Rokkors are probably better than the Trinar lenses, but new lenses are cheap these days.

The 75mm lenses are for 120 aka 6x6 aka two-and-a-quarter film.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks for the reply. So I needn't worry too much then. The S609 looks like a more advanced piece of kit, the F60 more entry-level, but I don't know much. You're right, I see enlarger lenses pop up from time to time with almost no interest.

I'd love to know about Durst's naming convention. What the `S' means as opposed to the `M' on other models.

Cheers!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin