Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,971   Online: 1063

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd cut the film and hang from either end. Count frames before you cut, so it ends up jiving with whatever storage system you have. The U is a bad idea unless it is an upside down U.

Welcome to the world of fuzzy critters. I have three cats, and gave up long ago on ever having a totally clean workspace. Sometimes they come and print with me. I don't even bother to protest any more. No point in rebelling against thy feline masters, for thou shall never win.

I dry my film in a steamed-up shower stall, away from all feline activity.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Tom:

A few suggestions:

1 brush the cats outside or far away from the darkroom. I cuts shedding and they will love you for it.
    2 do not let the cats in the darkroom.
    3 an electrostatic air cleaner in the daqrkroom
    4 a final everclear rinse should remove the water and make the film dry very quickly

Joe
    There is no such thing as taking too much time, because your soul is in that picture. -Ruth Bernhard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've got just the one cat. I've never had any problems with hair getting on the wet negs, however I use the shower to dry my negs like 2F/2F. It does somehow end up in the trays when I'm printing once in a while but it doesn't seem to cause any problems.
    Rhys

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the input everyone. I think I know what I need to do now.

There are two cats in this household, and they can not be separated from the darkroom. The darkroom is basically a section of the basement that has not been screened off, and is a multi-purpose room with laundry, bike repair, cat litter boxes, workshop, etc.

I will continue to use the clothes cover, and I will cut the film in half (18 frames to each half, which works since my neg holders hold six strips of six frames each), and hang the film from the sprocket holes on stainless steel wire hooks (one on each side, and weighted down as normal. Should work well.

Thanks to you all for taking time!

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Get a wire/metal grooming brush and groom the cats at least once a week. The wired brush will remove most of the loose hair that would otherwise end up on your film and everywhere else. The cats will also be less likely to ingest dangerous "fur-balls" while grooming themselves. Don't let the cats watch you hanging your film as they will immediately want to play with it. The Jobo film drying cabinet works quite well and can be purchased very cheaply these days. There's a cabinet for sheet film and roll film as well. The plastic cabinets can be easily stowed out of sight in between sessions.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get a wire/metal grooming brush ...
    These work really well; http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...59&cat=2,42551

Our cat won't tolerate the metal kind, but she likes these. They work well on human paws too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh, we brush the cats regularly. They like it, for sure. And the vacuum cleaner likes it too.

Thanks again for your contributions.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I'd cut the film and hang from either end.
    Won't that stretch it?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    well covered with suggestions, however there is an even simpler solution.
    Cats like three things. Company, sleepiing, FOOD.
    Feed em somewhere else just before going to the darkroom, somewhere far away.
    Preening and sleep usually follow food so you probably got a couple hours.
    regards
    CW

Shooter
    35mm

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin