Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,147   Online: 1029

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Cat Hair - Drying Film

So, moving in with my girlfriend, and her two cats, has presented an interesting challenge. Cat hair.

I went to IKEA and picked up one of the 'DIMPA', which is a clothes cover that you hang in the closet. It fits four rolls of film comfortably, 24exp 35mm or 120. But, it's too short for 36exp 35mm. Is there a way to hang 36exp 35mm film by folding it in half, safely, like dip-and-dunk machines?

Grateful for tips.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Cut in half after processing? Or, if there's room just make a u shape with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by asp.artist View Post
    Cut in half after processing? Or, if there's room just make a u shape with it.
    That first suggestion could be messy, and the second suggestion not permanent. I'd just take it to the vet and have them deal with it in the usual way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't dip the cats in photo-flo.
    It doesn't work...
    :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can hang the film in a U shape, if necessary. Sometimes it helps to put a half or full twist in so that the bottom isn't just flat, or clip a hanger clip onto one side at the bottom. Otherwise the water can pool some in the U.
    We have one cat, and I have a dedicated darkroom space, but the cat doesn't visit the darkroom so fur hasn't been a problem, FWIW. I guess she isn't a fan of photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Forming a U with the film is something I'm a little afraid of. Is there a device in existence that allows for the 'bottom' of the U to be on the top?

I thought perhaps I could make hooks and hang the film from them in the sprocket holes, and then let the two ends of the film hang down. Ya thing that would work?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Waste a frame near the middle of the roll, and then cut through that frame when you hang the roll (now in two parts) to dry.

Choose the wasted frame according to how you like to cut the roll after drying (e.g. if you cut your negs into strips of 5, you may want to waste number 16 or 21).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Get a dog for the darkroom. Train it to follow their normal instincts, chase cats.

Not sure if dog hair sticks to film.

A good air filter goes a long way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have 2 cats and a dog and fortunately never really had much problem with their hair on the film.

I put a little isopropyl alcohol in my final rinse to aid speedy drying and I live in a warm climate so my film dries fast.

I guess I could always give the cats a coat of varnish should their hair become a problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The U thing with the open ends down sounds doable. A piece of coat hanger through the sprocket holes will work but rust would be an issue after a while. SS stiff wire would be better. I have 2 cats and even though they are NOT allowed in my darkroom the hair is so fine it still finds a way in.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin