Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,573   Online: 1089

Thread: Worth It?

Shooter
    35mm

Worth It?

Hey guys,

So I've been planning on learning how to do enlargements for some time now and I think I may have finally found a good deal on Craigslist.
    For someone just starting out with printing his own negatives, would you say that an Omega C700, C760 and an Opemus (no model for this one) all for a total of $100 is a good deal?
    I probably won't need all three, so I might try and sell one or two of them and recoup some of the cost.

Also, any tips on how to make sure they are working properly?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    make sure you have the negative holders to go along with the enlargers...you can plug the unit in to see if it works....check the dichroic filters to see what kind of shape they are in..
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If they all work, all have carriers, as Peter said, it might be a good idea to pick them all up. I have used the Omega 600 and Opemus enlargers. Nothing fancy, but they work well.
    Oh, btw, the Opemus probably has a masking, glass-topped carrier. Check it for scratches.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too would pick them all up; at one stage I was running 3 enlargers in my DR. 1 for 35mm, 1 for Polaroid transfers and 1 for 6x6.
    2 Meoptas and an LPL SL66.

Traded them all in for my current LPL/Saunders MX6700 as I don't do transfers any more and moved up to 6x7.

Wish I could pick up a bargain like this one!!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If they are in good shape and have carriers, get them. If there are lenses, even better!

If they are not all that nice and/or leave you needing to track down parts, I say pass. Better deals are out there.

If they are wobbly, rattly, unadjustably far out of level, dirty, missing condenser lenses or other parts, have raggedy bellows, or the movements are either too sloppy or too tight, and/or do not lock down, I would pass.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin