Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,412   Online: 1123

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would check your filters for fading as a 170 magenta should look very red and/or can you remove the cover and see if the filters are moving in to position properly.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    35mm
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/flickha...n/photostream/

Hi Richard, I have posted the links for the pictures I have taken of the inside of the enlarger head (could not attach here did not know why). They show the position of the fully engaged magenta, and this is the highest position it can be levelled up using the dial. Should the filters fully levelled so that they can cover the hole through which the light comes? If the position is normal(filters fully engaged?), the only possible problem might be the fading of the color filters? that means I have to change one? anybody has done so before?

Thanks again everybody. You guys have been really helpful here.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hao922 View Post
    the only possible problem might be the fading of the color filters?
    The LPL 6700 uses dichroic filters. These cannot fade as they are not filters in the traditional sense. They use interference patterns to create the colour rather than block the part of the colour spectrum not required.

I have a 6700 and it works fine with variable contrast papers - as it should.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have the LPL C7700 and I've found that M170/Y0, which is supposedly grade 4.5 on Multigrade paper is actually more like grade 3 or 3.5. There's noticeable contrast differences going downwards to grade 1 but it's not possible to go harder than around grade 3.5. For most people this isn't much of an issue as they print on the lower grades, for me it is as I like to print on grade 4.

If you check the archives here, you'll notice this is a common issue. If you think the contrast is very low at M170/Y0, you could try changing the lamp.

The two solutions appear to be to either change your processing to get more contrast into the neg or buy under the lens multigrade filters.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve, your advice on changing the lamp was going to be my next suggestion as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hao922 View Post
    I did a full test today and made sure that the dialled white level to the correct position in order to let the filters play (I tested on the extremes (170Y & 170M) to know that they indeed worked). CONSISTENT PAPER & CHEMISTRY
    This is what I found: on the diffusion condenser, the print made on a filter grade 3.5 (0Y60M) is just slightly more contrast than the one made on a filter grade 2 (0Y0M). The contrast gap between those two grades is much smaller than the ones produced on a condenser enlarger.
    Only when I used Grade 5 (170M) and doubled the exposure time at the time could I notice a very noticeable contrast boost for the same negative. But the contrast on Grade 5 still is about equivalent to what I could get from a Grade 3 filter on a condenser enlarger.

I have heard that diffusion enlarger produces less contrast prints, but I never knew that the difference is this much based on my test, if my test is correct and my diffusion enlarger functions as expected.

Could somebody please shed some light on the contrast control based on what I have done? ALso, on the web people say condenser's contrast is strong on highlight whereas diffusion's is good in shadow details? anybody has any experience on that?

Thank you all for the input.
    All seems OK by those results.
    1) If not using combined Y/M settings, you will need more exposure with higher settings. Especially compared to white light.
    2) Condenser will print with more contrast.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    I have the LPL C7700 and I've found that M170/Y0, which is supposedly grade 4.5 on Multigrade paper is actually more like grade 3 or 3.5. There's noticeable contrast differences going downwards to grade 1 but it's not possible to go harder than around grade 3.5. For most people this isn't much of an issue as they print on the lower grades, for me it is as I like to print on grade 4.

If you check the archives here, you'll notice this is a common issue. If you think the contrast is very low at M170/Y0, you could try changing the lamp.

The two solutions appear to be to either change your processing to get more contrast into the neg or buy under the lens multigrade filters.
    Thank you guys for the help. As for the suggestion of changing the lamp, do you guys mean that lamp is not powerful/bright enough? what is the watts of the lamp that people normally use for this type of enlarger? It seems there are two types 85W82V and 100W/12V.

Thanks again

Shooter
    35mm
    When the lamp gets old it tends to emit yellowish light which affects the contrast.

I use a 12V/100W bulb. Make sure it's a Xenophot bulb made by Osram - they're much brighter. The Osram code on mine is 64627 HLX EFP
    Last edited by perkeleellinen; 05-11-2010 at 04:00 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    thank you so much Steve.
    I will check it out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might also want to try to dial all the filters to max (170C 170M 170Y). It should block (almost) all of the light, or be very, very dim when you look at it visually. If there is, for example, quite a strong green color cast left, it would indicate problems with magenta filter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin