Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,593   Online: 714

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Cold cathode head has no advantages over a colour head at all, I had no problems with contrast using Multigrade with mine but then I largely control final print contrast at the taking/neg processing stage when high or low contrast prints are required.

These days a colour head has all the benefits of a cold head with the advantages of cheaper bulbs and built in filtration. The tube for my De Vere Cold cathode head was 0ver £90/$140 15 years ago. The other disadvantage is lack of stability until warmed up, particularly with short exposures as they use a fluorescent tube.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why then do you think that cold cathode heads have been promoted at various points? - there have been various claimed advantages that I've regarded as dubious.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cold cathode heads were far easier & cheaper to make than colour heads and pre-date them anyway. The advantages were compared to condenser heads and they were more even lighting, the softer light means dust on negatives etc is less visible on prints, far better with retouched negatives, slightly less apparent grain, better tonality.

I converted my V54 from condenser to cold cathode and there was a difference in image quality etc which matched the claimed advantages. But tehn I found the same when I switched from condensers to a colour head in my Durst M601.

Ian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin