Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,623   Online: 975

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

BTZS film developing tubes for 8X10

Could use some help with this one. I tried using the 8X10 BTZS tube to develop some negatives the other day and all of them had scratches in the emulsion. OK, I'm new at this method. I've tray developed my large negs in the past with no problems but thought this might be something I could use with more control in the darkroom. Problem is my darkroom is not all that light tight, so I usually wait till it gets dark, and since the day's are longer now...well, you get my drift. My solution was to use my Harrison Pup Tent to load the 8X10 in the tubes. Kinda like stuffing 10lbs of "stuff" in a 5lb bag. I realize I would have more control not using the tent but thought I'd ask for other folks experience with this system. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I pre-soak the film in a tray before inserting into the tube. I have yet to experience any scratches.

Ken
    Quando omni flunkus moritati (R. Green)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Are the tubes old/used or new ? I have never had a scratched negative in a BTZS tubes in over 10 years and they are excellent for the purpose you mention. I have heard that old/used tubes that are aggressively cleaned can develop exposed composite which can cause problems on the non-emulsion side. The emulsion side of course should never come in contact with anything. If the scratches are in the emulsion then you allowing the edges of the film to touch the emulsion when making the gentle curl necessary for insertion into the tubes. If the scratches are indeed on the non-emulsion side then try using a very fine cloth type sandpaper to some any rough area out of tube and be sure to use a soapy gentle buff to complete the task. Here is a great video on the proper use of the BTZS tubes by Fred ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0WaDVDAXLM ........ hope this helps ......

Miles
    Miles :
    cherish light

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What i do is use a piece of fiberglass screen (window screen from home depot) between the tube and the negative.

If you cut a piece of screen a little larger than you negative, place the negative on the screen emulsion side up, then slide both into the tube you should be all set. Then when finished pull the negative out by pulling on the screen. Haven't had a scratch since i started using the screen.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin