Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,947   Posts: 1,557,848   Online: 823

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Which lens for 6x6? (w/Durst M605)

Hi. I've been using a 50mm lens on my Durst M605 for printing both 35mm and 6x6 negatives. I have been printing more 6x6 negatives lately, and on this forum have read about the benefits of using a 75mm or 80mm lens for 6x6 negatives. With the number of 6x6's I am now printing it's probably time to get lens specifically for my 6x6 negatives. (My 6x6 camera is a Kowa Super 66.)

There are so many enlarging lenses out there, some going for several hundred dollars. Do I really need to spend that much? I went on ebay and really didn't know what would be a good buy. My online research instead of clarifying things for me simply left me more confused as to what I needed.

So, I need your help folks. What would be an inexpensive 6x6 "starter" lens I could try (maybe up to $150 or so) for 6x6 printing?

Thanks,
    ~Dom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look for a clean used 75mm Fujinon EP or EX. Well within your budget and very high quality lenses-keepers, not starters.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    El Nikkor 80mm 5.6 works very well for me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Nikkor, and Fujis are both great lenses. I found some sweet deals on them at "the bay". I managed to get my 75, and my 50 mm Nikkors for about $35 each.

Shooter
    35mm
    ebay is currently listing a couple of El-Nikkor 75mm f/4.0 lenses on Buy it Now. One looks like a newer-style lens with an "N" designation and illuminated numbers ($157), the other has an older style look without the "N" designation ($132). Is one of these lens usually better thank the other, and are these good/fair prices?

Thanks,
    ~Dom

ebay Links:
    Nikkor 75mm f/4.0
    Nikkor 75mm f/4.0N

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You can also get a Rodagon or Componon for under 150$ nowadays.
    Greetz, Benjamin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd steer clear of the absolute bargain basement lenses and look for a clean used 80 mm EL-Nikkor, Schneider Componon-S, or Rodenstock Rodagon. The 75 mm enlarging lenses are ok, but if you make large prints or do more than just a little cropping, the deficiencies of the 4 element design will start to show up. The lenses I mentioned above are a step up in quality and will serve you well for many years if well cared for. They are all equally good, so no worries about the brand. You should be able to find one for not more than your budget allows.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are about 10 to 15 lenses of equal quality that would be desirable. The spelling on these is critical. One or two letter difference can mean the difference between a 4 element beginner lens and a 6 element top of the line lens:
    Just off the top of my head:
    Rodenstock Rodagon 80mm 5.6
    Schneider Componon 80mm 5.6
    Schneider Componon S 80mm 5.6
    EL-Nikkor 80mm 5.6
    Minolta Rokkor CE 80mm 5.6
    Fujinon EP/EX (as stated above)
    Meopta Meogon 80mm

Probably about 5 more good ones out there that will be reasonably priced that I have not listed. I'm not including any high priced APO or high magnification lenses in that list.

I wouldn't pay more than $100 for any of these. I wouldn't pay more than $25 for ones not on the list.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 05-15-2010 at 09:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Minolta rokor enlarging lens are at bargain prices, and are very good, certainly a keeper,Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It must have been mostly luck, but a couple of years back I got an EL-Nikkor 80mm 5.6 off ePrey for less than $30. It was mounted in some oddball gizmo to fit a certain enlarger -- I guess that scared off most buyers. Lens was like new, works great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin