Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,483   Online: 865

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Rainwater for darkroom supply

Is anyone using rainwater to supply a darkroom?

I've got a great outbuilding that would be fine for a darkroom, but water isn't part of the picture. It's a detached garage with half finished as office space.

It would be easy to run gutters off the roof and collect in a 200Gal industrial potable tank (lots available via surplus suppliers), then plumb the supply from there. Filtering the water would be a must, but does anyone have direct experience collecting water for darkroom use? Has it worked out for you?

Shooter
    35mm
    very good

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How would acid rain affect this? Would the degree of acidity be irrelevant for photographic purposes?
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i'd put it through a filter ... and use clean water for your final rinse ...

DCV

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I would suggest you process a roll of unexposed film with it to see if any contaminants might give increase the film base fog or cause any other problems. I had a friend many years ago who got increased base fog because of excessive salt levels in the municipal water supply. Otherwise, have fun!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It should be fine, especially for washing. Are you going to try the gravity fed method or a pump of some sort?
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I'd think with a 200Gal tank off the ground a few feet Gravity should do the trick. It's not like there's a bunch of pressure required.

I'd filter the water for sure, as it would be coming over shingles, gutters and eventually into the tank. Probably a fine mesh sieve before the tank then a inline filter before the faucet. Temperature would be pretty easy to work around since the tank would be inside and that much water would be stable/heat sink.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the Southwestern states people collect rain water for cullinary purposes. Sediment filter and a uV filter for biological impurities(microbes and mold spores, etc.) and you're all set to go.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If you are using those clear tanks, you must paint them.After a while with warmer weather you get an algae bloom inside. Reduce the light to the water and also protect the plastic from UV.
    Pat.
    What grain............................................. ...............
    Oh sorry, I forgot you don't shoot Large Format
    Large format Pat.

http://www.largeformatpat.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My concern would be whether you could use a fine enough filter without needing more pressure than gravity will provide. You may want to experiment with this. And I would leave room in the tank for sediment to precipitate out.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin