Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,280   Online: 1040

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I agree with Kirk. Furthermore, the Darkroom Automation F Stop Timer is a wonderful help-very easy to use, etc. We are fortunate to have a choice between the excellent products made by RHDesigns and Darkroom Automation. Both firms are run by honest and responsive individuals, and the products sold by both are top notch.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a scientific interest of analysing results from developer formulations (including colour) and optimising it.

I also would like to be able to compare density curves of film (and motion picture film) to those published by the film manufacturer - or at least shadow and highlight density - including that of colour film, so I would need the ability to measure highlights and shadows of small formats.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    I have a scientific interest of analysing results from developer formulations (including colour) and optimising it. I also would like to be able to compare density curves of film (and motion picture film) to those published by the film manufacturer
    I think you would be better served with a color bench densitometer. Noritsu units are quite good - they are rebadged Xrites - and often show up on the used market for very reasonable prices as mini-labs are shutting down their film lines. Each mini-lab had a color densitometer for running the daily quality strips.

My experience with 35mm film is that it is best to make full-frame exposures for density tests - this allows you to use a densitometer with no problems. For 4x5 tests I contact a step tablet, the resulting patches are just big enough to cover the densitometer measuring aperture.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have a Noritsu DM-201 and it is a fine color densitometer (and not a rebadged X-Rite either).

I agree you want a fancier densitometer. You also want a color one that can do Status M densitometery to match what the big boys are using.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whether some Noritsus are rebadged X-Rites or some X-Rites are rebadged Noritsus isn't really an issue. The companies do seem to swap products and technology, not at all uncommon in technical markets where product development costs can be stratospheric in comparison with sales. Here's a few examples:

An X-Rite 810 with a Noritsu badge, and with a more than passing resemblance to a Noritsu DM-201:

http://www.photolabstuff.com/densitometer810.htm

Ditto for a model 881:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Noritsu-Densitom...item5ad4c2859a

No matter what they are, they are all very fine densitometers that are available for very reasonable dollars on the used market. Modern mini-labs use densitometers that automatically read tiny little spots on calibration, well they are more like cards than strips. Hence the glut of really useful densitometers.

Good point about Status M filters. But I think most of the cast-offs only do status A for color reversal materials. The difference is only a matter of 10-20 nM, but the 'M' wavelengths better correspond to the response of color couplers.
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 05-18-2010 at 02:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin