Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,368   Online: 1095

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Annemarieke
    Has any of you guys (or girls) ever tried loading two rollfilms onto one Patterson reel; one behind the other? Somebody taught me that trick, and I am still thankful! It means that you only use 50% of the developer that you would use for two separate reels, and also the tank is a lot less heavy, which in my case is a huge bonus.

Really, there is plenty of room on a reel to do that. Try it.

Anne Marieke
    Another wonderful idea. I shall try it this weekend, just as soon as I've brought a pair of nail-clippers.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Dave, no need to clip the corners. I never do, and still manage to get two on one Patterson reel. Like Stan, I bend back the leading few centimeters (sorry guys, we are metric in our country) of film, and then it feeds onto the reel without any problems.

A problem you might come across, is that the first film has to go all the way into the centre of the reel, and obviously will not be fed in anymore by the 'little balls', for want of a better word. You will have to push the first film along, till it stops going any further, and then feed in the second film.

It is a bit fiddly at first, but when you get the hang of it, it works just fine!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ann-hey i like the sound of that. are you talking about 120 size film only? i guess i'm assuming that a 36ish exposure roll of 35mm would fill the roll.

Is there a trick to doing this besides being careful? I would think that the second roll could start to overlap the first if you aren't very careful. hmmmm.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As far as I know you can only do it with a 120 roll, because they are a lot shorter than a 35mm roll.

Yes, you do have to be a bit careful, and have to make sure that the first roll is really totally in the centre of the reel, i.e. that it will not go in any further (you have to push it along, because it has gone past the feed-in system).

I have never had overlapping rolls (knock wood!) and all my films have come out perfectly OK.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I load two 120's on one reel by using the sticky tape thingy to tape the second to the first. That way they go in one after the other, with no danger of overlap or slipping.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ole, do you mean that sticky tape thingy that sticks the film onto the filmreel? Wouldn't that dissolve somehow in developer or fixer and cause damage to the film?

I do it without tape and have never had problems, but I do agree with you that there could be a risk of overlap.

It is a bit fiddly, but when you get the hang of it it is actually very easy and convenient because you can develop two rolls in the amount of developer for one roll.

Anne Marieke

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ole, do you mean that sticky tape thingy that sticks the film onto the filmreel?
    Yes, that's what I mean. It's always handy, and I can't find the other tape in the dark

Wouldn't that dissolve somehow in developer or fixer and cause damage to the film?
    No - or at least, that's never happened to me. In several hundred rolls in just about any chemistry conceivable, and then some, I have never seen any problems.
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wow, do you live 'in' APUG? That's a very quick answer.

So the tape is a real option. I had never thought it wouldn't harm the film but you seem to have done a fair amount of testing to prove it doesn't.

Thanks.
    Anne Marieke

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wow, do you live 'in' APUG? That's a very quick answer.
    Who's talking?

I work nightshift, and have two days (nights) of waiting to look forward to...
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Ole]Who's talking?

I happened to be online, Ole. I'm not always that quick!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin