Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,104   Online: 1192

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Help for loading 120 roll film onto spirals

In case you are not already doing this...In the dark snip off the corners (roughly 45 degrees) from the film before it is loaded on. It makes it easier by far to get the 'leader' past the ball bearings in plastic spirals and prevents the leading corners getting mangled- esp with thin based films such as apx100 and acros. Will make a big difference....which I am reminded of whenever I forget to do it....

Oh and avoid humid conditions and getting sweaty in changing bags as all help make the emulsion tacky and make it stick.

Tom

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth
    In case you are not already doing this...In the dark snip off the corners (roughly 45 degrees) from the film before it is loaded on.
    I do this with a nailclipper. Makes it a lot easier in the dark.

Gilbert
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by argentic
    I do this with a nailclipper. Makes it a lot easier in the dark.

Gilbert
    Sometimes someone comes up with a real gem, and makes life so much easier. Those who have spilled blood in a changing bag will know what I mean!
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If you are using Patterson reels you will also find that if there is one drop of water anywhere on the reel the film will not go past it. Whenever I load anything on Patterson's I blow them with the hot setting on my hairdryer first to make sure they are bone dry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Something I do to keep my changing bag free from humidity is put a couple of those little bags of silica that you get with electronic equipment in it. That way when you start to sweat in those bags, it absorbs the moisture.
    Scott Stadler

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Also, the two sides of the Patterson reel can get crooked to each other, making loading impossible. Just wiggle them a little and they become straight again.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When I cut the corners off, it becomes harder to get the last part of the film onto the reel. I think this is because the leading end of the film is then free to curl inward, causing more friction against the groove.

I have no problem getting the uncut end of the film past the little balls - I just grab it by the leading edge and drag it in. There's no exposure there to be ruined by handling or mangling anyway.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This is a personal thing, I know and preferences may differ, but I have a a collection of plastic reels, some Patterson, and ss reels. I much prefer the ss reels for both 35mm and 120 films. In either case, the reels must be dry. I have also had the best (easiest) results by clipping the leading edge corners.

In loading a ss reel, I find that giving the film a gentle tug after a couple of rotations helps center the film width-wise, which aids in alignment. Good center alignment is quite necessary for a correct load. I believe most loading difficulties with ss reels occur due to poor centering of the film at the start. Practice will help in all cases, plastic or ss.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Now for the other side. I have never found it necessary to cut the corners off the edges of the lead-in of film. I do however bend back, against the curl, the leading 1/4 inch of film. I use Jobo, Rodinax and Patterson reels and all are trouble fee if - DRY!

As stated, it pays to keep loading a dud film till you can do it, any which way, in the dark and standing on your head!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Has any of you guys (or girls) ever tried loading two rollfilms onto one Patterson reel; one behind the other? Somebody taught me that trick, and I am still thankful! It means that you only use 50% of the developer that you would use for two separate reels, and also the tank is a lot less heavy, which in my case is a huge bonus.

Really, there is plenty of room on a reel to do that. Try it.

Anne Marieke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin