Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,589   Online: 1106

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

I now own a large format enlarger!

After mentioning in various threads that 5x4 (or 4x5) enlargers are being given away in the US but command high prices in the UK, I now have one which didn't really cost me any money.

In return for a few spare pieces I had for Mamiya TLRs, I got a Devere 54 with cold cathode light source. I just paid for the postage.

It has been taken apart and delivered in four boxes so I will have a go at putting it back together tonight.

It has been said that the light from the cold cathode source is fairly blue and can be a problem with variable contrast filters so I am planning on building an LED light source for this. I have the PCB from an LED stage light which is fitted with red, green and blue LEDs which I think will work quite well.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve, I used a De Vere cold cathode head with Ilford below the lens filters for years with no problems with Multigrade papers.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Steve, I used a De Vere cold cathode head with Ilford below the lens filters for years with no problems with Multigrade papers.
    I will certainly try it out with filters first. The 'too blue' thing was just a comment made on a thread.

If I make the LED head I will make sure I can still put the cold cathode light source on it. i.e. don't chop it up to turn it into an LED source!

Time to put the Speed Graphic back together and finish my 6x12 camera as I now have the means to print from their negatives.

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 05-25-2010 at 09:35 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ilford comments extensively on cold cathode printing with their products in this document which is worth reading if you have cold light and want to do MG printing: http://www.darkroom.ru/info/manuals/...manual_eng.pdf

Nothing wrong with making a LED head but I'll bet that cold cathode works fine.

Since you want to do multigrade printing, I'd check this out!
    ...pile of Chromega 4x5 heads...

http://www.apug.org/forums/1001250-post4.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Nothing wrong with making a LED head but I'll bet that cold cathode works fine.
    Not any more it doesn't! Unfortunately it didn't survive posting and the tube is in two pieces despite some extra packing being put inside to protect it.

Oh well. LED head it is then!

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Too bad about the cold cathode

I don't doubt your ability to do a LED head, and will be interested in your results, but I believe that it will be difficult to out-design a proven commercial product. And re-building or refurbishing a free busted head may be a better way than designing one from scratch. Though, perhaps that is what you had in mind i.e. using that cold light housing and putting the LEDS in there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I was going to make a new housing for the LEDs but now I think I will modify the original head. My LED PCB is from an LED stage light and is about 7" diameter with red, green and blue LEDs fitted. It should fit in there with no modification. Just four pillars to mount it on. I will probably make an intermediate plate which the PCB fits onto with four bolts which fit the holes previously used to mount the transformer.

That way, if I ever find a replacement tube, I should be able to swap it back again.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    After mentioning in various threads that 5x4 (or 4x5) enlargers are being given away in the US but command high prices in the UK, I now have one which didn't really cost me any money.

In return for a few spare pieces I had for Mamiya TLRs, I got a Devere 54 with cold cathode light source. I just paid for the postage.

It has been taken apart and delivered in four boxes so I will have a go at putting it back together tonight.

It has been said that the light from the cold cathode source is fairly blue and can be a problem with variable contrast filters so I am planning on building an LED light source for this. I have the PCB from an LED stage light which is fitted with red, green and blue LEDs which I think will work quite well.

Steve.

Nice going Steve, it can be hard, depending on location, to get something like an enlarger. The vast majority who live near big cities, I believe, take it for granted that they can get one but those in more rural areas find it more difficult.

When you make your LED light source send me a note if possible on your approach to the construction of it. I'd like to make a head for my Durst which is sitting outside the darkroom without one. I use a Beseler 45 right now.

I hope you can get it put back together, it's going to be like a holiday working on it and the excitement of the first print, it's all fun.

Regards,
    Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gee Steve, I just read about the bulb and shipping, that's too bad, damn those gorillas who handle packages. Was there any other damage besides the bulb? What is the bulb that comes with it?

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Congratulations on the new toy.

Mike

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin